yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blocked Heater Matrix - how hard/expensive to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked Heater Matrix - how hard/expensive to replace?

Hi Guys

I'm posting this on behalf of my dad who, if we're honest bought a bit of a pup. It's a Third Series one (made in about 98, am I right?). Since he has bought it, we've discovered all manner of sins and gradually repaired. The current problem, highlighted by the cold weather is the heater/blower. Only lukewarm heat comes through.

Having researched here, I've read that you can't really 'flush' a blocked heater matrix because blocked sections are bypassed under pressure - am I right?

We think it is blocked because amongst other things, the radiator had to be replaced and the old one was completely laced with gunk and rad-weld. Which we think has blocked the heater matrix as well? Am I along the right lines? Also the inlet to the heater is hot and the outlet is cold. The back blower (between the two front seats) seems to work okay.

As an aside, during the summer we also discovered the car had NO thermostat in the engine bay (filled with mastic plastic) - we think in an effort to botch an overheating problem.

So, does anyone concur that all this means we need a new heater matrix, how hard is it to refit (we've been told it's a 'weeks work' and includes removing the steering rack) and is it worth getting a breaking one or new one? How much are they?

Sorry for all the questions! Trying to help my dad...

I bought a '94 series 2 a year before and it hasn't skipped a beat....

have a check through the posts at the bottom of the page.

but my guess would be the rad weld has fubbard your matrix. you will need to remove the entire dash to remove it. i'd say it would take about 2 days.

Comment

As Sledge said, all of the lower part of the dash will need to come out.

Disconnect the heater hoses at the bulkhead first though and try blasting any crud out with a hose pipe with good pressure. Try in both directions. it may loosen whatever is in there.
      It'll be a good idea to replace all the coolant/heater hoses too, you can buy the hose by the foot from motor factors for around 1.20 per foot.

Comment

Ok thanks. I saw in another thread about disconnecting those two pipes and flushing through - but at household cold water pressure - would a jet washer be too powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by solidpro View Post
          Ok thanks. I saw in another thread about disconnecting those two pipes and flushing through - but at household cold water pressure - would a jet washer be too powerful?

I wouldn't risk it to be honest, good house pressure should be enough, it'll still be more than what the waterpump can provide anyway.

Comment

wish mine was only blocked its pi&&ing out coolant. Nice sweet smell along with a sauna inside, drove back from Gatwick with windows open at 0400 and a squeege in me hand clearing the windows.
            By passed it now but no good with no heater this time of year
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X