axel windup damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axel windup damage

Just read on the FAQ section about not driving in 4wd while on the road due to no central diff causing axel windup. Unfortunatly I recently had to do this as my surf got stuck in 4wd and I had to drive it to the garage. It was making some very unpleasant noises when going round sharp corners. Guy at the garage said this was normal in 4wd, but now Im worried that some damage has been done. Is this possible? where would the damage most be aparent and what do I look out for?
    Eager to get my hands dirty but havn't had my head under a car since I owned my fiesta Mrk 1 many years ago and this is my first 4x4.

Would apreciate any advice

James

Chances are if you have caused any damage, you'll know about it. If all is well driving on the road, no nasty noises etc, and if you can select and use 4wd correctly off-road with no noises or loss of drive then you should be ok.

The noises and clunks you heard whilst in 4wd on the tarmac would have been the stresses in the system releasing themselves, as long as this was thru the hopping or slipping of a wheel and not thru the damage of any components all should be well.
    Find a field and put her thru her paces to check all is as it should be.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
    X