Bolts for the Brake Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts for the Brake Drums

Probably a daft question but does anybody know the size of the bolts needed to take the drums off? I have tried with a 8mm metric and they don't seem to fit quite right and I didn't want to push my luck!

Going to change the shoes and the studs, any tips?

Thanks

Latiric

You've lost me, only nuts needed to get drums off are the wheel nuts.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You're talking about the threaded holes you can use to jack the drums off, right. If yes then they are standard M8 threads but are probably full of bits of countryside. Spray with WD40 and clean out with an old tooth brush or something.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Bolts for the drums

Just going off the instructions on the surf website.

It looks as though you screw bolts into two threaded holes on the drum and wind them to remove the drum and get at the shoes?

Is there an easier way?

Cheers Latiric

Comment

Originally posted by Latiric
          Just going off the instructions on the surf website.

It looks as though you screw bolts into two threaded holes on the drum and wind them to remove the drum and get at the shoes?

Is there an easier way?

Cheers Latiric
          If your drums have not been removed recently then spray the centre of the drum/hub end with some WD40.....before you wind the drum off with the 2 8mm bolts make sure that you release the auto brake adjusters. These can be accessed through a slot (should have a rubber bung in it) at the top of the back plate, about level and to the rear of the brake pipe. These adjsters have a locking spring plate that stop the ratchet system form undoing. They can be tricky, but using a thin scredriver to push the spring plate back and another to turn the adjuster toothed wheel. The toothed wheels turn either both up to release or both down as 1 side is a left handed thread on the adjuster, soz but cant remember which way. If you just pull the drum off you can run the risk of splitting the drum.
          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
            If your drums have not been removed recently then spray the centre of the drum/hub end with some WD40.....before you wind the drum off with the 2 8mm bolts make sure that you release the auto brake adjusters. These can be accessed through a slot (should have a rubber bung in it) at the top of the back plate, about level and to the rear of the brake pipe. These adjsters have a locking spring plate that stop the ratchet system form undoing. They can be tricky, but using a thin scredriver to push the spring plate back and another to turn the adjuster toothed wheel. The toothed wheels turn either both up to release or both down as 1 side is a left handed thread on the adjuster, soz but cant remember which way. If you just pull the drum off you can run the risk of splitting the drum.
            This may seem a stupid point to make however I have done it myself.

.....MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE HANDBRAKE OFF....

Other than that when you screw in the studs, screw them in enough to put the drum under pressure then hit the drum with a RUBBER mallet. Then release the bolts a bit, then retighten again.

After a while of this the drum will start to ease off as the bolts go in a little more every time.

Problem is that sometimes as you pull off the drum, it grabs the brake shoes and tries to pull them off too, as they pull forward they twist and hold the drum on tighter.

Cheers

Comment

yeh ive done it to and left the hand brake on.
              To make sure the shoes move back enough and a badly adjusted hand brake is not still holding the shoes out, i always back off the handbrake adjuster too.
              BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
                yeh ive done it to and left the hand brake on.
                To make sure the shoes move back enough and a badly adjusted hand brake is not still holding the shoes out, i always back off the handbrake adjuster too.
                Yeah I'm a lazy sod, I'd rather spend 1/2 hour getting the drum off than 10 minutes to back off the adjusters.

What am I like???

Cheers

Comment

Thanks

Managed to get the drums off once I had cleaned the threads.

Some good advice thanks to everyone who replied!!!!!

Cheers

Latiric

Comment

Glad we could help....thats what its all about. On day you may have some info/help we need lol.
                    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Working...
                    X