Park lock problem? Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park lock problem? Please help.

If anyone could please help me with the following it would be much appreciated! I have 2.7 petrol aoutmomatic 1996 surf. Recentley the the car has been "stuck" in park and it will not go out of park unless you press and hold down the little red button above the "P"ark sign. The writing is in Japanese and i dont have a owners manual to look what is wrong. Also if anyone knows where i can purchase a manual online maybe in electronic format?

Thnx

Originally posted by unfy
    If anyone could please help me with the following it would be much appreciated! I have 2.7 petrol aoutmomatic 1996 surf. Recentley the the car has been "stuck" in park and it will not go out of park unless you press and hold down the little red button above the "P"ark sign. The writing is in Japanese and i dont have a owners manual to look what is wrong. Also if anyone knows where i can purchase a manual online maybe in electronic format?

Thnx

Hi there !! The car is designed to stay in park when the ignition is off - hence you have the little red button which allows you to move the gearstick when the car is off.
    If it does it with the ignition on also, then put your foot on the foot brake, and the gear lever will move.

There is a FAQ section on the forum- you will find answers to a lot of the questions on silly buttons etc there!

You can buy workshop manuals from www.amazon.com - There is a Haynes manual on the petrol 4-runner (aussie and US name for the surf) not sure if it covers your model as I only have the 79 thru 96 one - but I'm sure there is a 97-2001 one also.

Wecome to the site!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by unfy

Thnx

We had this question recently, I think the answer was check both your brake lights are working.

Here it is http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6159
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

stuck in park

after replacing the gear selector illimanation(bulb in plain talk) i also had this problem,found i had disturbed a short thin bar which runs from red button to the auto selector. take off the gear surround and check this bar is in place,it is located on the drivers side of selector and is a little fiddly to put back in place use a pointy pliers and a little patience....

Comment

Do you hear a relay click when you touch the foot brake? If not the power feed to the relay that locks the gearshift could be dodgy.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
          X