Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warning lights

hi lads
    this is doing my head in, just replaced mullered alternator with a one off stormy, had it checked to make sure it was ok, so the situation is now that i have no warning lights on the dash, no power to ignition, no side lights, checked all fuses they look ok, don,t know what to try next apart from a bottle of vodka, any help would be more than welcome.
    cheers johnno
    15 years in shiny club, lovely

There's something that you haven't plugged back in somewhere.

Did you remove an earth strap?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      There's something that you haven't plugged back in somewhere.

Did you remove an earth strap?
      no just the batteries and the two connections on the alternator, there is just the two fuse boxes ain,t there, the reason i checked all the fuses was that when i was taking the old alternator out i had only disconnected one battery and while wrestling the thing out the wire that bolts onto it flashed on the body

Comment

Ah, then there's most likely a blown fuse or circuit breaker.
        Double check the fuses in the box in the engine compartment first, as there's an alternator fuse and charge fuse in there.
        There's some circuit breakers above the fuse box by the throttle pedal, one could have tripped. Not had much to do with those before, so I don't know if they can be re-set or will need replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Ah, then there's most likely a blown fuse or circuit breaker.
          Double check the fuses in the box in the engine compartment first, as there's an alternator fuse and charge fuse in there.
          There's some circuit breakers above the fuse box by the throttle pedal, one could have tripped. Not had much to do with those before, so I don't know if they can be re-set or will need replacing.
          thanks for the info bushwacker, fuses seem fine the circuit breakers you mention just seem to be little black boxes so can,t tell if there ok or not think i will get in touch with stormy and get some replacements off him.

Comment

Originally posted by geordie john View Post
            thanks for the info bushwacker, fuses seem fine the circuit breakers you mention just seem to be little black boxes so can,t tell if there ok or not think i will get in touch with stormy and get some replacements off him.
            right found the gremlin it was the 100 amp fuse in the engine bay, could,nt see through the plastic top so on trying to remove it the top broke off and revealed the problem, now is there some wierd and wonderful way to remove these fuses as it does not want to come out by normal methods also anyone any idea where i would get one.

johnno

Comment

I shorted the 100amp fuse when i did mine, you have to take the fusebox off the body to remove the 100amp fuse as the bolts go through he bottom of the fuse, i think they are about a fiver each, i replaced the other fuse aswell as its such a pain in the arse to get to.
              hope this helps
              James

Forgot to say i got mine from an auto electric place near my work, try toolboxshop.com
              Last edited by james-r; 14 November 2010, 17:45. Reason: more info
              My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

How the hell did you blow the 100a fuse swapping the alternator? It's almost impossible to wire it wrong!

I'd have had alarm bells ringing when I re-connected the battery, there would have been a whole heap of sparking going on before the fuse blew. Didn't the sparking alert you to the fact that there was something amiss?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by geordie john View Post
                  when i was taking the old alternator out i had only disconnected one battery and while wrestling the thing out the wire that bolts onto it flashed on the body
                  Looks like he shorted out on the bodywork, i forgot to disconnect the batteries when i was tightening the power cable and touched the innerwing with the spanner and it nearly blew it out of my hand and blew the 100amp fuse

Comment

'Forgot'? Sometimes I despair!

Comment

must be a right pain being so perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                        must be a right pain being so perfect
                        Are you talking to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Are you talking to me?
                          the reason the fuse blew was i only disconnected one battery so when i was grappling with the alternator the lead touched the body, these things do happen, learning curve comes to mind

Comment

Or me?

Comment

Disconnecting the battery(ies) when working on vehicle electrics is as basic as using axle stands when one is working under the vehicle. It's not part of the learning curve, it's before the start of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X