yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed Head, Can't start? Help is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed Head, Can't start? Help is here!

I recently bought a 1994 SRG Surf (KZN130) Engine 1KZ-TE) I must say that I am very impressed with the car and with my other car being a 2 seater sports car, only practical in summer, it fits my life very well.

When I bought the car I managed to get it quite cheap as it had engine trouble and having the luxury of two cars there was no rush for me to fix it myself (especially as I have no mechanical experience). Any way one month later I have stripped and rebuilt the engine and for the last week I have had real trouble trying to get the car to start.

The reason for this post is to pass on how to get the 1KZ-TE engine to start after fitting a new head. I was struggling with this and it was really starting to get me down that I had just spent all this money on parts and now I was going to have to pay a garage to strip the engine and rebuild it again. Until by chance a brother of a friend of mine drove past the car and stopped.

The problem I was having was the engine was turning over but it sounded like there was no compression and it just wouldn't start. Thinking about it logically I realised that it must be lack of fuel, oxygen or heat as the timing marks were in the right position. So I checked the injectors by unscrewing the pipe from the first injector and turning the engine over. No fuel came out. So after research (Thank you to those previous posts, you know who you are) to fix this I opened the fuel filler cap to check there wasn't a vacuum in the fuel tank, primed the fuel filter using the black plastic pump on top of top of it undid the bleeding screw on the fuel pump, redid it up and kept turning the engine over for about 30secs until fuel finally came through. Ok now we have fuel it will start I thought ;0). Oh no, I tried all that day and next morning and would it start, like $£!" it would.

This is when my friend brother pulled up. I didn't mention this earlier but he happens to be a mechanic and a classic mini enthusiast basically his life is cars. Now come the interesting bit, bearing in mind he is a trained mechanic, he told me that I had no compression and that he could tell by listening to it that my timing was wrong, so he checked the timing and to his surprise he told me that the timing was very slightly out but not enough to stop it starting, he asked me to turn it over again and then told me that it was strange that there was air blowing out of the air intake rather than being sucked in. He then asked me if I had a can of deodorant a little bemused I got him one he then got me to turn the engine over as he sprayed the deodorant up the air intake pipe and within 15 seconds the engine was running.

Absolutely amazing a can of Lynx Africa had done in 15 seconds what I could not do in best part of two days. He told me that it was a trick they use in the trade (apart from they use cold start not deodorant) He said that some engines such as land Rover engines are self bleeding and will turn over straight away if you change a head or even just run out of fuel but other engines such as Toyotas and Fords wouldn't.

So to cut a long story short I have seen lots of post on this site about problems getting the engines to start with new head but no methods to help. The method quite simple buy a can of cold start from Halfords.

WD40 or an equivalent or any flammable spray will work just be very CAREFULL when doing it as it can spit flames back out at you and the surrounding area
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X