How to burp the cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to burp the cooling system

Hi folks, I'm in need of some help after having glow plugs break in the head and having to remove head and remove glow plugs I now have hopefuly air lock problems how do I het the air out of the system please
    Lifes a Surf

how do i bleed water system and rads

please does anybody know how to burp my 2.4 surf
    Lifes a Surf

Comment

see here....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....34&postcount=2

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

either that or put your arm round the back of it and pat firmly till it burps then ya done........Well it worked on the kids!!!!
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

well on a seriouse note how do you get the air out of the system please its a qenuine question for genuine answers please its a 2.4 ssrx surf 1993
          Lifes a Surf

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...Burping+system

All you have to do is use the search button.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

why only coolant and do you mean anti freeze
              we have filled with water and anti freeze i have been driving with heaters on but there is air in the system heaters i think, is it just a case of drive it till it works its way out [ i,m worries about it killing the head gasget ]
              the temp gauge went the three quaters yesterday i stopped topped rad up but then its over flows the header tank , i can hear it running & trickling into and around the heater at the front but they blow cold air still so i presume its air in the system
              Lifes a Surf

Comment

Don't use water & only use a specified coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by sioux1ok View Post
                  why only coolant and do you mean anti freeze
                  we have filled with water and anti freeze i have been driving with heaters on but there is air in the system heaters i think, is it just a case of drive it till it works its way out [ i,m worries about it killing the head gasget ]
                  the temp gauge went the three quaters yesterday i stopped topped rad up but then its over flows the header tank , i can hear it running & trickling into and around the heater at the front but they blow cold air still so i presume its air in the system
                  Set both heaters to hot, top up with coolant (de-mineralised water+anti-freeze) half fill the expansion tank and leave the radiator cap off overnight.
                  Most if not all of the air will have escaped by morning.

p.s. leave the rad cap on the driver's seat so you don't forget to re-fit it!

Comment

take the rad cap off and set front and rear heaters to hot and put on full blast.Make sure the truck is either on level ground or facing uphill.Switch engine and keep topping up via the rad cap and not expansion bottle.it may take a while or it may be quick but once your sure there's no more air in the system fit the rad cap and go for a drive.Allow to cool down and then check the levels again and repeat if needed.There should be in the expansion bottle about 1/3 to 1/2 full max

Make sure you use the same colour coolant that was in the system to start with as you can't mix them.If you change the coolant colour you need to flush the cooling system first
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sioux1ok, I'm not having a go at you but you should have done a bit of homework before tackling the cooling system.

All you need to know about these trucks are found in the "search" facility at the top of the page.

Comment

The problem is the rad filler hole is lower than the front heater matrix, you can fit a bleed valve from a plumbing supplies shop into one of these hoses and use that, burp the system the way its done with a bottle or try my method: both heaters on full and blowing as you top up the system as much as possible, go for a little drive to a place with a real heavy incline, point your truck at it and drive forward till the front end is up in the air, brake on, out of drive and shut it down, open the bonnet and if the engine is cool enough take off the rad cap, if not you'll have to wait, once you get it off, start the truck back up, heaters full blast and top up as it runs, it'll blow bubbles out for a bit then once you think its done replace the cap, drive it home then let it sit overnight with the cap off before topping up again if needed in the morning, works perfect for me. H

Comment

Its really not that hard, I put this in the sticky at the top of this forum awhile back if anyone would bother reading it....

Filling cooling system........

With all the heaters on hot, fill it via the hose that does a 180 deg bend into the heater control valve with a watering can, fill till coolant comes out rad, put cap on, keep filling till coolant comes out of heater control valve and pop pipe back on.

Take it for a run and check it at the rad cap when cold or next morning and it shouldn't need much more water.
                          Don't worry about the turning the fans on, the coolant isn't bothered how hard the fans are blowing as long the valves are on to hot, coolant will flow through the matrix's just fine.

Flush the whole system with a hose through the pipe, till clean water runs out of valve and rad cap, let rad drain, with will give you a block and matrix full of clean water, pour 4-5lts of neat coolant in, then finish with fresh water as above and you'll have right mix and no air locks.

'Done'

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thank boys yea should have homework but better later than never fingers crossed for me eh with bleeding system thanks again
                            Lifes a Surf

Comment

Working...
                            X