Front diff/ axle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diff/ axle.

My garage tells me i need to replace my front diff. Where the front half axle goes into the diff you can move it up and down. Is it a bearing that's knacker-ed or something worse, they reckon on 4 hours/ £200 plus to replace the front axle and diff provided everything comes off ok which i doubt it would. Plus of course i've got to find a replacement first. What are my options please or which would be my best plan of attack.

It'll be the inner C/V joint, sometimes called a tulip joint.

Roughtrax don't sell them, so it's probably a dealer part of secondhand of Stormforce.
    May as well fit new joint gaiters too while it's all apart.

Comment

A picture of exactly what bit is moving would help. As Vince said, it could be a CV joint, or as you say, it could be a bearing.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sounds like one of those 'baffle them with bullshit' type garages to me, all diagnosis conveyed to the owner over the phone.

Loose driveshaft joint on an IFS vehicle and they say it needs a new diff??!!

Comment

Aye, probably wouldn't even swap the diffs.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'll crawl under tomorrow and take a pic or two. The garage i use is ok, i've known the owner for a good twenty years but i don't think they do a lot of 4x4's. Their view was that it would probably be easier and cheaper to fit another diff and axles than take mine off to repair it. Of course if it can be fixed without taking the whole thing off that would be brilliant.

Comment

sounds like the bush that supports the diff flange, if they mean you can wiggle the inner CV where it goes into the diff then there is always play on this, its normal, I've found that it only needs replacing if its actually leaking oil. Otherwise its ok.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It's this bit that goes into the casing, you can move it about up and down and from side to side a good couple of millimetres, the one on the other side of the diff doesn't seem to have play at all in it.

Comment

Shocking pic! If it ain't leaking (as Tony says) forget about it.

Nev

Comment

It's not a 4 hour job thats for sure.............I would say about 2 hours.

And £50 per hour??!! Jeeze your garage ain't cheap!
                    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      sounds like the bush that supports the diff flange, if they mean you can wiggle the inner CV where it goes into the diff then there is always play on this, its normal, I've found that it only needs replacing if its actually leaking oil. Otherwise its ok.

mines leaking and very very wobbly

dont know the technical term for this part and have spent most of the morning trying to work out which it is

if someone can tell me what i need to order from here for my LN130 it would be very very usefull

would i be right in thinking its this

if it is, am i right in assuming its drive shaft right out, fit seal, put drive shaft back again, or can it just be pulled out a little and fitted?

any help would be great as I've been usingt he search button all mornign and this is the closest I've come to it.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X