My heater doesn't work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My heater doesn't work!

I have just bought my first Surf, a '96 3L and so far all is great...except that this morning it was a bit chilly so I put the heater on and nothing...well..not exactly nothing, the fan was blowing cold air on me!

I have noticed that the engine temperature gauge never really gets going either, even after 10 or 15 minutes of driving it is still skulking around the bottom of the gauge.

I am really hoping that this is something I can sort out soon...it's only going to get colder!

It would help massively if you could suggest what you think the problem could be, so that I don't get completely fleeced by the garage trying every solution but the right one at my expense!

I look forward to hearing from you

I'd check there's a thermostat in it, its on the drivers side at the top of the bottom rad hose/pipe, I'd be flushing the system too if its missing, you may have other problems. H

Comment

Id be checking theres water in it too.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Also check the cable switch for the heater is connected and working/free to move, it's at the top/back on the bulkhead (on 2.4's anyway) get someone to opperate the slider controlls while you watch it,
        as said as you just got the truck and prob dont know its service history id drain the coolant, give it a real through flushing, fit a new stat and refill with new coolant, when flushing pay particular attension to the small hoses especially the ones that run to the rear heater, thats where the gunk always builds up, back flush the main heater, etc, worth the trouble believe me,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

That's great thanks....I'll take a look and see if that improves the situation.

Comment

Update

Ok...an update....having failed to manage to get a good look at this and leaving it far too long, i'm now freezing my girlie bits off! So i bit the bullet and took it to a garage.

They are not having much success in finding out what is going on, but have said that they have found bits missing from the engine! lol

They say that the problem lies around the heater control valve...apparently there is something missing from the valve onto the rod? And noone they speak to for parts seems to have a clue what is missing either.

I said I knew some people with an incredible knowledge of the Surf, so...anyone got a clue?

Two days so far without a car, on a seemingly 'simple' problem

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Helen

Comment

The heater control valve on the bulkhead (engine compartment, between the wipers) is controlled by a stiff cable that goes into the cabin onto the heater's slider controls.
              The cables can sometimes kink and the valve won't operate.
              If you push the lever on the control valve fully one way the valve will either be fully open (hot air) or closed (cold air).
              Just select the fully open position until you source replacement parts.

Comment

That's great, thanks. The garage I sent it to have had it for 3 days now and have just given up on it, so looks like I will have to find a good mechanic locally or bite the bullet and pay the extortion money to Toyota

At least if I open the valve while I find someone to fix it for me, I won't freeze!

I'll keep looking, but I should probably get hold of a workshop manual and an owners manual to avoid this problem in the future...any idea where I should look?

Thanks
                Helen

Comment

Still Freezing!

I have fully opened the valve now, but still cold air (so cold in fact that the inside of my windscreen iced over, just from me breathing!)

I wonder what's wrong?

Comment

When i bought my surf the heaters didn't work either. However after I flushed them they worked fine. Over time bits of rust and sludge build up in the coolant system. The temperature needle however should stay roughly in the middle when warm, if this is not happening then there might be a problem with something like the themostat so you would be best of ringing around a few mechanics until you find some one with experience of surfs to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by tanglefooted View Post
                      I have fully opened the valve now, but still cold air (so cold in fact that the inside of my windscreen iced over, just from me breathing!)

I wonder what's wrong?

You tried opening it the other way, right?

Comment

lol Erm...To be honest...the garage told me they had left it in the open position, so I can't take responsibilty for even doing that myself!

Comment

Working...
                        X