No announcement yet.

Can panhard rod pull suspension down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I thought i'd post on this thread instead of making my own. I have a similar issue to you, I have landcruiser springs on the back with longer shocks, but the rear drivers side in lower than the passenger side. I don't have a panhard drop bracket either and I was wondering if you'd managed to sort out your issue, and if so how did you do it?
    My original theory was that the standard springs are 2" longer on the drivers side and since the landcruiser springs are the same length it meant the drivers side sagged.
    But i'm starting to think it might be the panhard rod pulling down the drivers side instead?
    Cheers for any input

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
      But i'm starting to think it might be the panhard rod pulling down the drivers side instead?
      It isn't. You were right first time (what Andy told you).
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ok thankyou for the response, do you think it would still be a worthwhile investment to get a drop bracket, as it is at quite an angle?

Comment

having the drop bracket will stop the axel being pulled over to one side.Ask Bushy if he will make you a panhard drop bracket and i would also fit the arb drop brackets aswell.
          Have you tried adjusting the torsion bars Dan as this can help with the sag a little aswell
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers, so would I be right in thinking if I got a thicker landcruiser spring seat made it would raise the drivers side but also increase the angle of the panhard rod further bringing the axle over to the drivers side more? I've not played with the torsion bars as they scare me a bit :-S I don't think I have any anti-roll bars on the rear, but perhaps I would need to look further at the brakes lines? I had a look earlier and there appears to be drop brackets where the brake pipes meet the axle.
            Also, to save me starting another thread (because I'm a dumbass) are the landcruiser seats held on to the chassis in any way or just held in place by the spring? Thanks very muchly.

Comment

they are held in place by the springs.How long have the lc springs been fitted anyway.If they are fairly new then i would adjust the torsion bars and see how it looks then.

Comment

Held by the springs.

Vince makes the drop brackets, and they are slightly better cos it keeps the rod level, but if he's too busy with the Lexurfs I can cut/sleeve and reweld your rod if you measure how long it needs to be.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Held by the springs.

Vince makes the drop brackets, and they are slightly better cos it keeps the rod level, but if he's too busy with the Lexurfs I can cut/sleeve and reweld your rod if you measure how long it needs to be.
                  Tony do you want a panhard rod as a spare for doing these.If so i can put 1 or 2 on the pallet for you when i send the gearbox

Comment

that'll be great, I have one anyway, that I send out altered and people send their old one back, but a couple more would be handy as sometimes it takes awhile for the spare one to come back..

I have got some big taps recently to make adjustable ones, but lathe is short of some thread cutting gears to make the insert, I will get it sorted soon though!!

Comment

Cheers guys, so first off I need to find a friendly engineering firm to make a thicker landcruiser seats, then once they're on I can find out how much of a drop the bracket needs to have (although I've read the brackets can be damaged whilst off roading?) or I can measure how much the panhard rod needs to be extended by. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention, I believe the springs are a couple years old, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          that'll be great, I have one anyway, that I send out altered and people send their old one back, but a couple more would be handy as sometimes it takes awhile for the spare one to come back..

I have got some big taps recently to make adjustable ones, but lathe is short of some thread cutting gears to make the insert, I will get it sorted soon though!!

You could chop the rod in the middle, use a farm/highlift jack to push body over 'till it 'sits' right and weld a tube over the cut ends.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            You could chop the rod in the middle, use a farm/highlift jack to push body over 'till it 'sits' right and weld a tube over the cut ends.
                            Yeah, thats how I do them when they are here, it saves trying to get the horrible upper bolt out! They generally sit pretty square on the radius arm without the rod connected.

I actually slide a solid bar inside the rod, and weld it up.

Still would rather make adjustable ones with a bottle screw in the middle, but once its set they are generally ok, but people like 'adjustable' bling...

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
                              Sorry I forgot to mention, I believe the springs are a couple years old, but I could be wrong.
                              About 4 years old I think. Why dont you just get a huuuge washer / shim made to go on the existing ally seat under the spring? I seem to recall there's about 1.5" or so of 'locater' on the spring seat, so you could easily add a good 1/2" - 3/4" of shim.

Talk to Mark. He made the seats so should be able to help.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Good idea, thanks. I'll go measure how much lower the drivers side is and see if it's doable that way. Would certainly be cheaper than having the whole thing made up.

Comment

Working...
                                X