Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes Braking???

Hi all,

i very worried at the monent, everytime i break it feels like there is something scratching the brake disk, it comes fom the left front weel, i thought i was the break pads but after a good check i found there are in good shape, but when i open the hood i found the breaking fluid container compltetly open... the fluid looked a bit dirty, i closed it, went to a mechanic for a complet fluid replace only to hear that i would be better off if i got a new braking kit (no idea what that is). latly the car is taking a little longer to break and i have to step the breaking pedal a bit further...

1 - is the scratching noise normal?
    2 - what kit are they refering to?

sorry for the long text, i tried to give as much details as possible...

any ideas what ight be wrong?

regards...

petrol v6 1996 ssrg

when you checked the pads did you remove them to check or did you have a look at the outside pad which is the easiest to see?
    if you haven't removed them the front brakes could still be at fault as occasionally the inner pad can wear quicker than the outer one and when it gets to low it allows the backplate to come into contact with the disc and cause the noise the braking kit i would presume will be new disc's and new brake pads
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi tonupteabag,

i actually boght new pads to replace the ones i thought were wornout... so after removing both weels i was left with the new pads in my hands, thats wen i started to wonder... by the way the disks are less than a year old.

thanks...
      Last edited by vladimir; 21 August 2010, 21:37.

Comment

it might be worth going back to the garage and getting them to clarify what they did and what they actually found wrong. the noise does sound from what you have said like a worn pad but as you have checked this then it has to be something else, has the centre of the disc got any shiny line running round its circumference as though it might have a stone jammed touching the disc or are the caliper mountings tight, is the caliper applying the brake effort evenly, have the pads worn evenly and not one more than the other, have you any unusual marks anywhere around the disc or caliper
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
          it might be worth going back to the garage and getting them to clarify what they did and what they actually found wrong.
          Agreed. If pads are worn unevenly then that means caliper problems which may be the "kit" they are talking about. Surfs of this age quite often need a caliper refurb because seals are worn, dirt and moisture gets into the pistons and then they seize up.

Nev

Comment

thanks for the reply guys, i will take it back to the garage... i think i will just go ahead and do a major service on the vehicle, i will replace the breakparts that needs replacement... i feel it also needs a wheel alignment... as a matter of interest the car was converted to LHD (Left Hand Drive), i beleave most of the problems are coming from that convertion...

thanks all...

regards,

Comment

Working...
            X