Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from drivetrain

Hi all,

I've been getting a rattling/metalic clonking noise when under load. Doesn't seem to do it unless using accelerator. I've done a bit of research on here and sounded like bronze bushes needed replacing.

I took it to my local garage to get it checked out and said no play in front hub area but play in steering idler, inner track rod and rear prop UJ.

My steering has seemed fine but can any of these items be causing the noise I've been getting. Going to get them all done anyway but I don't want to do all that and then still have same problem.

Thanks

the rear prop will more than likely cause a vibration rather than a rattling noise.
    Check the heat sheilds over the turbo and on the exhaust and the ones under the truck aswell
    Check the metal plate in the wheel arch aswell as this can rattle at times.
    The steering idler you can get new bushes from roughtrax cheap enough so try them also before spending to much on un-neccessary items if not needed
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks stormforce.

Apparently the idler joint has play and as far as I know this would have to be replaced. I've got the whole lot from roughtrax for under £100 which I don't mind if it fixes things.

The noise really doesn't sound like something loose. It's like the prop or drive shaft is going round hitting another bit of metal each revolution. and it is not all the time. Sometimes there's nothing.

Comment

i would check the sheilds anyway and just have a ruddy good look for anything else that could be loose.The bashplate may be a bit loose or the transfer box plate may also be bent up a bit and keeps knocking
        About time there was another Holmes on the forum

Comment

I take it you're also a Holmes? Good stuff!

I'll try and have a good look round but I'm no mechanic (although very willing to learn if space, tools and knowledge was supplied).

Comment

just have a good feel of any sheilds etc and see if they move at all and hit other metal.If so then it will be just a case of tightening the bolts
            Yep i a Holmes aswell and there's only the 2 of us on here now unless you want to count the other half but she don't go on here now

Comment

Originally posted by timholmes61 View Post
              thanks stormforce.

Apparently the idler joint has play and as far as I know this would have to be replaced. I've got the whole lot from roughtrax for under £100 which I don't mind if it fixes things.

The noise really doesn't sound like something loose. It's like the prop or drive shaft is going round hitting another bit of metal each revolution. and it is not all the time. Sometimes there's nothing.
              Get the steering idler bushes and replace them, a 10 minute job, seriously. That'll be £5+VAT & Carriage from Roughtrax (for both). Make sure you get the right ones, there different ones for pre and post-facelift (at '94 yours are the post facelift for 08/1991 onwards).

The top and bottom bushes are the same so you need two.

As for the rattling, mine was rattling before and it was the fan shroud on the radiator so I took it off and put sticky back foam (door draft excluder stuff) around the face that bolts against the radiator itself and it was cured!

Hope this helps,

Ray.
              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Not sure if I'm on the wrong track here but I had a similar problem/noise when loaded.
                Turned out it was ( saggy ass syndrome ) when I was loaded the weight was pushing down on the pipes for the back seat heating.

I replaced the rear springs & shocks with a 2" lift & now every things fine even with 4 large passengers & 40-50 boxes of laminate flooring

Cost about £140 for parts & about £70 for labour

Comment

Working...
                X