Hello folks just signed up looking for some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello folks just signed up looking for some help

Hello all, names mike i have a 97 surf 3.4 V6 SSR-G Auto, i have owned it for 5 years with no problems, it has developed what i can only describe as a tinkle/rattle noise coming from the bellhousing, the rate of rattle increases in speed with revs. it sounds like something is loose inside?????

Any help would be much appriciated- regards Mike

There should be some sort of access window at the bottom of the bell housing, or by removing the starter motor. You could slowly turn the engine over by levering the ring gear on the plate attached to the crank that the starter meshes into, and see if any teeth are missing. Beyond that, IT's down to separating the transmission from the engine to see if anything is rattling around or loose. It could also be possible that your starter motor is not completely disengaging from the ring gear, and is so being turned whilst the engine is running. Try slackening the bolts of the starter motor and moving it away from the bellhousing while the engine is running...if the noise goes away, bingo !
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Does it do it in Nuetral and when in gear?

If you're sure its coming rom the bellhousing, first check a flex plate bolt hasn't come out or broken, if all the bolts are in place then next suspect is the flex plate itself, but this will involve removing the gearbox to check/fix.

If the cover plate is missing, make sure it hasn't got a stone inside thats bouncing around.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X