No announcement yet.

Advice on fitting new exhaust please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on fitting new exhaust please...

OK... so the new surf wasn't quite as good 'off the boat' as I had originally thought.

Turns out the main exhaust box is blowing and the tail pipe has all but broken off at the flange.

So, I've ordered the two back sections from Milners, along 2 x sealing rings.

Now to the questions... I haven't even considered fitting an exhaust myself for at least 20 yrs, but I do remember it wasn't a lot of fun! Does any one have any suggestions for getting the two flange bolts undone, I have tried squirting liberally with WD40 (several times), but I can't get them to budge. I'm coming round to the idea of getting the angle ginder out and cutting the heads off the bolts.

Secondly, assuming I get the old pieces off... do the sealing rings go in dry or is there any kind of sealing compound that should be used.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Like you it's been a few years, but I've always used exhust jointing paste in past, you can get in most motor spares places. I guess the angle grinder is the only option, if you've tried the WD40.

Comment

Job done..

Didn't need the grinder... it became apparent, upon receiving the new exhaust, that the nuts I was trying to undo were welded to the flange!!!

Moved the socket to the bolt head and they came undone fairly easily.

MOT tomorrow... on the road next week - hopefully!
      Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Working...
      X