Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant again

Hi folks

in the sub-zero winter my Tstat failed on a long run, 300miles each way, the car never overheated according to the guage, the rad was topped up with
    1 & 1/2 litres of water and did the 300 mile back, needing similar when cooled down.

I did all the flushing the system, renewed coolant, stat, rad cap and have driven it each day since without any sign of overheat or any other symptoms apart from losing a half pint of coolant per 80 mile run and a bit smokey on startup, (white), even towed my caravan to its new pitch 2 weeks back with no problem, (twin ax 2 ton van), no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant and can't find any sign of a leak. Starting though has not been instant lately, and the engine seems a little grumbly for the first few minutes after startup.

Anyway, the last week or so it started blowing a little blue-tinged smoke, this got to a point which I thought was excessive, I changed the fuel filter, filled with redex and blasted up to 90mph along the road, sweet as a nut, and loaded with a fridge freezer full size and numerous bits of caravanning gear, I'd say equivalent to the weight of three adults.

Next day, car wouldn't start, turned over a couple of times, then seemed to stick/seize, so I've started to pull it apart today.

I've lifted the rocker cover off and its so clean you could eat yer dinner from it, looks brand new, no sign of sludge/spunk just nice oil.

There is a bit of gunge in the crossover to the turbo and the rocker breather to turbo hose/pipe, I suspect the intake manifold will be similar, so I'm thinking to strip and clean all the breathing apparatus and give it another try.

What I'd like to know is opinions on whether to continue and pull the head, and, if I find nothing, is it just a case of new gaskets, TB, etc and put it back together, or will the head need skimming before reassembly.

I'm no mechanic, though I've done all maintenance on bikes, cars I've had for thirty years and not failed to fix any yet, so not afraid to try this one too.

One more point to add regards this coolant loss/leak, when the rad loses the water its not boiling out the expansion bottle, its also not replenishing the rad from the bottle, no bubbles, nothing, its got me stumped, any suggestions as I can do without the work if someone can point a finger at the problem I'd be grateful. Oh, and can the turbo be removed once the pipework is disconnected. H

PS. The little jap tw*ts who put these together should be shot, I've lost all knuckles and even though I'm 5ft 11 have had to use a stepladder to get the height for comfortable access, not to mention the hidden bolts, nuts, which hold the ###### job up. H

i would get a sniffer test done before pulling the head off.Get a garage to do it or buy a head and block testing kit on ebay for about £30
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Try turning it over by hand, if it still seems to be seized, turn it backwards to see if it 'frees' off. Then see if it seizes again when you turn the engine the right way, if it does, you've probably leaked water into a cylinder or two.

Could be the gasket, but you've more than likely cooked the head when you were hammering it.

The above is only my opinion which was formed based on the information you supplied.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I hear what your saying and was thinking along similar lines regards the sticking but surely there should be some evidence of cross contamination if water was getting in the pots.

With Stormy's answer this would mean a cleanup and reassembly then try running it again, what if it refuses to fire up? then I'm back to where I started and would have to strip it again, whereas I'm not a kick in the arus from head removal now.

Not sure what to do, I can't allow it to f-up completely as its my only transport and limited on cash for replacing the car or even the head come to that.

I'll continue with the clean out operation and give it more thought.

Anyone else had sticky pistons, what was the diagnosis, I need a clue here so don't be shy all opinions welcome, I'd hate to have to scrap it as I've become a little attached to this snow plough now. H

PS. What do you mean, "hammering it", it goes this quick and all posts here say "to drive like you stole it", I've yet to see a car thief sticking to the speed limit with the bizzies in hot pursuit, I'd probably got faster but those roundabouts needed slowing for as I learned on the first night of ownership when at my usual honda accord roundabout speed I was at the edge of rolling it. lol Happy pre coolant loss Surf days. Will try the hand crank bit when dismantling the timing belt.
        Last edited by Hazzo; 20 May 2010, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
        X