Brake discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake discs

I went to change the front discs on my 94 KZN130 at the weekend, but I'm stuffed if I liked the look of it. I've done discs before and was just expecting to remove the wheel, move the caliper out of the way, undo a couple of retaining bolts, and hey presto - disc off.

Can anyone advise on what's needed here? I've attached some pics from different angles, but after the wheel and caliper can someone tell me what I'm doing with this middle bit? Does it all have to be removed, is it set at a certain torque? Will it all just fall apart?

I'd appreciate any Haynes manual experts who can help.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Everything's easy, when you know how!

Originally posted by phorbiuz
    I went to change the front discs on my 94 KZN130 at the weekend, but I'm stuffed if I liked the look of it. I've done discs before and was just expecting to remove the wheel, move the caliper out of the way, undo a couple of retaining bolts, and hey presto - disc off.

Can anyone advise on what's needed here? I've attached some pics from different angles, but after the wheel and caliper can someone tell me what I'm doing with this middle bit? Does it all have to be removed, is it set at a certain torque? Will it all just fall apart?

Thanks.
    I think that you have to remove everything to get the disk off, ie the complete hub and wheel bearings. I've not done a 2nd gen, but did this on my 1st gen quite a while ago. It had manually locking hubs, and i don't know if the ones you have are automatic or manual. It looks very similar to what i saw. I don't know if you have a new grease seal for the back of the disk/hub; this will help keep the wheel bearings in good nick and is a good idea to do while you have everything off. Also, i can't remember if the wheel bearings needed to be pushed out of the disk housing, or if it was bolted on. Sorry. I don't know if you've unbent the flanges on the retaining washer, as that's what it looks like in the pic, or if they were already like that; it needs to be bent to stop the nut from turning, otherwise your wheel bearings and hub will loosen...

To get the big nut off, a few careful taps with a large flat bladed bolster should do. I've never found a socket that big which fits, but i'm not a professional grease monkey.

Good luck.

Comment

Did this job at weekend.
      Flange needs to come off,
      wheel bearing nuts - you need a 54mm or 55mm socket.
      I ordered a 55mm one driect from Drapers website, needed a 3/4inch to 1/2 convertor for my socket too - as it is a 3/4inch drive.
      55mm is slightly too big, but it works fine.
      whole hub and disc assembly needs to come off, which means removing calipers - being carefully not to let the brake pipe/hose take the caliper weight - it needs supporting. I jammed a pole above upper wishbone and tied the caliper to this.
      next the hard part is getting disc off hub.
      6 bolts need removing from inner side of disc
      The big important thing to do is not whack the wheel studs with a hammer as I did - trashing the threads.... which led to me ruining the lug nuts too..

it either needs pressing off hydraulically
      or using a drift or cold chisel in the space between disc and hub, taking care not to hit the base of the wheel studs

took me a few hours to do
      but i have to redo the job now when I get new wheel studs from milners

in the end it would have been cheaper for me to get a garage to do the job, now ive knackered wheel studs and lug nuts...
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by phorbiuz

Thanks.
        undo the two large flat nuts, removing the fold over lug washer thing. Once these are removed you can then pull the whole assembly off. There is an inner and outer bearing as well as the seal on the inner side. If changing the whole disk i would recommend replacing the seal. You may get away with knocking out the outer bearing case, the inner part of bearing race will fall out.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Working...
        X