Coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant

Hello all, noticed a leak somewhere on my radiator, on 95 surf. The closer i look, the more radweld i see bubbling out all over the place. Before i bought it, a fella i spoke to from moss4x4 centre said that the wrong type of coolant has been causing damaged heads. Is this the case and what coolant is best??? Cheers all, Im counting on you.

Originally posted by blacksurf
    Hello all, noticed a leak somewhere on my radiator, on 95 surf. The closer i look, the more radweld i see bubbling out all over the place. Before i bought it, a fella i spoke to from moss4x4 centre said that the wrong type of coolant has been causing damaged heads. Is this the case and what coolant is best??? Cheers all, Im counting on you.
    It's not cheap!! £15 for 5 litres approx. But Toyotas coolant is probably the best bet!
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Funny, I thought it was overheating and poor gasket/head design that caused damaged heads.
      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm

There has been plenty of talk about coolants. Suffice it to say, the latest comments have been about a 'diesel' specific coolant to lower the temperature...

Demon Tweaks and Frosts have a couple of products that should help.
      'Water Wetter', and 'Radiator Relief' I think... I haven't used them on the Surf (yet), but used them regularly on our dearly departed '92 Civic VTi...

The odd coolant story, may have come from Japan... They use a black coolant to mask overheating issues. If a new vehicle has this stuff in the coolant system, check all the usual suspects.

That has probably confused you further...

andyL

Comment

"The odd coolant story, may have come from Japan... They use a black coolant to mask overheating issues. If a new vehicle has this stuff in the coolant system, check all the usual suspects."

Toyota red coolant changes color as it ages or gets contaminated. If you leave it in the engine long enough it will turn black.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
          Funny, I thought it was overheating and poor gasket/head design that caused damaged heads.
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm

There has been plenty of talk about coolants. Suffice it to say, the latest comments have been about a 'diesel' specific coolant to lower the temperature...

Demon Tweaks and Frosts have a couple of products that should help.
          'Water Wetter', and 'Radiator Relief' I think... I haven't used them on the Surf (yet), but used them regularly on our dearly departed '92 Civic VTi...

The odd coolant story, may have come from Japan... They use a black coolant to mask overheating issues. If a new vehicle has this stuff in the coolant system, check all the usual suspects.

That has probably confused you further...

andyL
          I use the DEi rad relief from demon tweeks together with Toyota forlife and no probs as yet!

Yes ,It is expensive but so is a new head!
          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Working...
          X