removing rusty front shocks? & front drive axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing rusty front shocks? & front drive axle

Tried to remove old front shocks off 4runner at w/e, but the nut at top is seized to thread - so hold upper shock twists when i try and undo it. It tried with clamp on the small flat section at top of thread, but its not big enough to get enough purchase

any ideas? will i have to angle-grind the bolt and thread off?

AND...

tried to remove front drive-shaft off to replace inner CV boot - but couldnt get the drive shaft off - the flange cant get past the differential flange studs
    anyone else had this problem?

and little blunder i will have to admit..... trashed the threads on all 12 front wheel studs removing old discs.., then trashed the lug nuts winding them back on after i had changed the discs and pads.. so whole lot has had to come off again

whats difference between lug nuts for alloy wheels and standard lug nuts?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

For the CV boot look here - http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6138

or here -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

Neville
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 14 June 2004, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
      ....whats difference between lug nuts for alloy wheels and standard lug nuts?
      Depends on the alloy, some have a steel insert pressed into each bolt hole, these may have a tapered seat and use conventional nuts the same as steel wheels, others can have an insert without taper (not very common) which use a nut without taper and a protruding sleeve. Others have no steel insert and require a nut with a floating sleeve thru the hole...
      There are others too...
      Its not as simple as to say that there is one type of nut for alloys and another for steels. Whilst steels will almost always use the same general type of nut, several variations exist for alloy wheels. The manufacturer or supplier of the alloy should be able to advise.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
        Depends on the alloy, some have a steel insert pressed into each bolt hole, these may have a tapered seat and use conventional nuts the same as steel wheels, others can have an insert without taper (not very common) which use a nut without taper and a protruding sleeve. Others have no steel insert and require a nut with a floating sleeve thru the hole...
        There are others too...
        Its not as simple as to say that there is one type of nut for alloys and another for steels. Whilst steels will almost always use the same general type of nut, several variations exist for alloy wheels. The manufacturer or supplier of the alloy should be able to advise.
        there are 2 different nuts for the standard OEM alloys one set with washers one set without washers
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

In the first attachment you see a picture of me using a chainsaw with my eyes shut but that is of no help to you so I wont suggest it is

In the second attachment you can see (on top) the nuts I've just lately got for my alloys (the 15" alloys have Toyota printed on them and are off a Cruiser I'm told). The sleeve is definitely required coz the hole on the rim is much larger than the stud itself. Then the nut below that is off my old steel rims (see avatar).
          Last edited by JimL; 14 June 2004, 22:09.

Comment

Working...
          X