Changing ATF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing ATF

Well I spent this afternoon draining my auto gearbox and dropping the pan to get to the filter. What came out was definitely not pleasant!!
    See pic for the old and new ATF side by side.
    When I was checking the fluid the other week I noticed it was looking a bit brown when put on a tissue but I didn't think it was this bad. I wonder if it's ever been changed during the Surf's 152,000km...
    BTW, nearly 6 litres came out but have only put about 4.5 back in so far. It was over-filled before.
    Gear changes seem to be a bit smoother now but I haven't driven it too far yet.
    Attached Files

Any tips regarding the oil change Rob? Never done an AT before, did you go for the full change including the torq converter?

Comment

Nah i just drained out what was in the pan. Think I'm just gonna drain the pan (without removing it) and refill again for the next few services until I've changed out the entire capacity and a bit more (anyone know the full capacity inc torque converter?).
      Today I just followed my Haynes manual!

Will post what I did in full tomorrow.

Comment

seem to remember something about having to crank thr engine when emptying the fluid. this empties the t/converter. also, something about putting a hose from the autobox radiator into a bucket of fresh atf and using this to flush out all the old fluid

maybe someone can confirm???

Comment

Yep, you are talking about a complete fluid change. I just went for a partial change, ie just the fluid in the pan. I probably should have done a complete flush but I'm lazy and going for the easier but slower way!

Here's a good link, although it's not Surf specific. I didn't change any filters or o-rings, just cleaned up what was there. i don't think the filters are suppsed to be replaced anyway in the Surf.

Comment

Working...
          X