2.4 Surf - lack of power help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Surf - lack of power help!

Hi all. I have recently bought a 1991 2.4 TD Auto Surf! I love this truck but need some help on why it is lacking in power! I tried to do a hill start coming out of a restaurant today and I just stayed put 1/2 way up the hill. It is slow to move when cold and on initial accelleration. If anyone has any ideas or need more info, please ask and I will try and add.

Many thanks in advance.

Craig.

Originally posted by fakenhamsurf View Post
    Hi all. I have recently bought a 1991 2.4 TD Auto Surf! I love this truck but need some help on why it is lacking in power! I tried to do a hill start coming out of a restaurant today and I just stayed put 1/2 way up the hill. It is slow to move when cold and on initial accelleration. If anyone has any ideas or need more info, please ask and I will try and add.

Many thanks in advance.

Craig.
    Welcome to the mad house, A couple of questions does the green turbo light come on normally? Have you checked the transmission fluid, it should be a nice red colour and not brown.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Had mine 8 months and that was one of my first questions. Spent ages worrying that my gearbox was faulty. Unfortunately the 2.4 is a bit lacking in the power department and on steep hills its a bit like driving a tractor, you aint going anywhere fast. Never bothered checking by gear oil, just got used to it. Everyone said I would, you just need to adjust to a new driving style.
      What did you drive before. I was used to going everywhere at full tilt which was half my problem in getting used to the surf. Stick with it but you may what to check the gearbox oil and filter just for peace of mind.
      In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

I have had many cars!! Last was an LPG converted Frontera, that was slow, as was my disco 2.5tdi. But this one takes the biscuit!! I was sat on this hill, triesd to move forward and it actually refused to move! I had to reverse and take a run up. I have also found that when pulling out of junctions, it is quite scary. 0-30mph (approx 48kph) takes between 11 and 13 seconds. The Turbo light comes on at about 2250rpm. I had someone come and have a look at buying it yesterday (after having my back window smashed by a passing lorry and a pothole... another story) and he said it is the injection pump not giving enough to the injectors and basically starving the engine of fuel. When the turbo kicks in it is nice, Iam also used to driving old old old military landrovers and even the non turbos have more power. I am confused now. I dont know what else to think. I dont want to have to go down the route of a new pump, but could the pump timing be out (EFI Engine) slightly retarded? Thanks again

Craig

Comment

Sounds a bit serious but a bit above me mate. What was it like when you bought it. Has this just happened suddenly or was it this slow when you bought it. When you say it just stayed put half way up the hill, do you mean it slowed down to a standstill as you where driving. how does the engine sound when this happens.

Comment

I drove up the hill, slowly, then I stopped and the car wouldn't go forward. The rev's didn't increase, thats why I am thinking the pump not giving enough pressure. I have only had it a couple of weeks and it has been like this since I bought it. I have run cataclean through and that has improved a bit and also done the ecu reset over night, again helped a bit but not enough.

Comment

Mmm. Possibly pump or could just be fuel filter. Thats where I'd start.

Comment

Can I buy a fiel filter from Halfords, if so , what motor would it be off? The are fun like that! I'll look at adjusting the pump slightly. I have got nice red oil in the gearbox.

Comment

I'm no expert but I would have though the 2.4 Toyota 4 Runner filter would do.

Comment

i would buy a filter kit from milners or roughtrax as the halfords 4runner fuel filters ain't cheap.
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                    X