yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TECHNICAL > 3.0 Turbo Diesel >How much should I pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TECHNICAL > 3.0 Turbo Diesel >How much should I pay?

Hi, All.

Noob owner Lou (Louise, but I prefer Lou).

I just bought an SSR-X Limited Auto on an N plate (1995) for £1900, which I thought was a bargain. It's done 173000km (107, 500 miles).

It had no Service History, but had passed the last 2 MOTs without any notifications, but needed a new alternator. I've also sourced all the parts to carry out an engine oil, all filters and cambelt change plus replace the waterpump (which I've read usually goes shortly after the cambelt change) and alternator.

My husband wants to have a go at it, but I'm a bit sceptical. What sort of price would I expect to pay be to get a reputable mechanic to do the work, or should hubby have a go?

All advice greatfully received.
    SSR-X Limited 3.0TD '95

£100 - £150 at a guess ? They will probably charge the water pump and cambelt as seprate jobs even though you are in the area to do both.

The 3.0 belt is very easy so if you're hubby is mechanically minded he'll be fine.

Download a manual for it on MattF's site.

Don't forget 5 litres of new coolant to refill.

Rob.

Comment

Its not tricky, I'd probably only charge £50ish labour on something like that.

But you've been misled on waterpump, it has nothing to do with the Cambelt on a 3.0, you don't even touch the drive belts when doing the Cambelt.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        £100 - £150 at a guess ? They will probably charge the water pump and cambelt as seprate jobs even though you are in the area to do both.

The 3.0 belt is very easy so if you're hubby is mechanically minded he'll be fine.

Download a manual for it on MattF's site.

Don't forget 5 litres of new coolant to refill.

Rob.
        I'm wondering where mines going, its took around nine now and just waiting for the engine to cool to see if it needs a drop more, Hazzo

Comment

Yeah I should have added 5 litres of de-ionised water to go with that

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            Its not tricky, I'd probably only charge £50ish labour on something like that.

But you've been misled on waterpump, it has nothing to do with the Cambelt on a 3.0, you don't even touch the drive belts when doing the Cambelt.
            Thanks, All for the replies.

Tony, what would you charge to do the full service, belts and waterpump, please. I doubt we'd be able to get the truck to you as it won't start

Is it possible that you could do the work in situ? My husband is a great guy, and means well but he's a lot better at demolition than construction and isn't that good at finishing what he starts.

As I've bought the waterpump it's probably best to have it fitted.

I've listed the work it needs (from the full service listed on your website), and the parts I've bought already are in brackets...

Change cambelt (got new belt, idler pulley and tensioner, genuine Toyota parts)
            Replace waterpump (got pump)
            Change Oil and Oil Filter (got both oil and filter)
            Air Filter (got filter)
            Fuel Filter (got filter)
            Fan Belt (got belts x2)
            Air Con Belt (got belt)
            PAS Belt (think this is the 2nd fan belt)
            Change ATF fluid
            Check Brakes
            Grease UJ's
            Grease Ball Joints
            Check Bearings
            Change Diff oil
            Change Brake & Clutch fluid
            Change Radiator Coolant

I can't wait to get Nick (my name for the truck) back on the road. I only drove it for an hour or so before the RAC had to recover it, but loved it.

Thanks, Lou
            SSR-X Limited 3.0TD '95

Comment

Originally posted by Lou View Post
              Thanks, All for the replies.

Tony, what would you charge to do the full service, belts and waterpump, please. I doubt we'd be able to get the truck to you as it won't start

Is it possible that you could do the work in situ? My husband is a great guy, and means well but he's a lot better at demolition than construction and isn't that good at finishing what he starts.

As I've bought the waterpump it's probably best to have it fitted.

I've listed the work it needs (from the full service listed on your website), and the parts I've bought already are in brackets...

Change cambelt (got new belt, idler pulley and tensioner, genuine Toyota parts)
              Replace waterpump (got pump)
              Change Oil and Oil Filter (got both oil and filter)
              Air Filter (got filter)
              Fuel Filter (got filter)
              Fan Belt (got belts x2)
              Air Con Belt (got belt)
              PAS Belt (think this is the 2nd fan belt)
              Change ATF fluid
              Check Brakes
              Grease UJ's
              Grease Ball Joints
              Check Bearings
              Change Diff oil
              Change Brake & Clutch fluid
              Change Radiator Coolant

I can't wait to get Nick (my name for the truck) back on the road. I only drove it for an hour or so before the RAC had to recover it, but loved it.

Thanks, Lou
              Wow youve come prepared! lol
              Hi and welcome to the forum/asylum

I would say a few hours work for someone who knows his way around a surf pretty well.
              Make sure whoever does it properly flushes the coolant. Back flush it etc.
              You have most of the parts which is good. Things like ATF oil, diff oil, coolant, grease etc shouldnt amount to more than £50 i would say.
              So you got a few hours labour at whatever the garage/mechanic charges plus about £50 worth of sundries.
              Thats how i would price it up anyway.
              I could be wrong though...afterall i did once think an old lawnmower of mine was a deisel engine but in fact was a petrol! But hey that was years ago and ive grown since then.
              Oooh that reminds me of something!............
              Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Ello and welcome

Sorry I missed this post.

Quite a list you have there, my wife is Lou too oO

peace
                cal
                Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Err im confused? You paid £1900 for a bargain and it broke down? How long did you own it before it broke down? Cant see where the bargain bit fits in lol. Im not taking the p, i would be mad as hell in your position. As i said im confused.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Err im confused? You paid £1900 for a bargain and it broke down? How long did you own it before it broke down? Cant see where the bargain bit fits in lol. Im not taking the p, i would be mad as hell in your position. As i said im confused.
                    Hi, the operative word was "thought" it was a bargain.
                    Now that the works done she runs fine, and the bodywork is excellent. Just chalking it down to experience. At least I know that it's all sorted now and I'm not going to be stuck with flat batteries anytime soon.
                    SSR-X Limited 3.0TD '95

Comment

Working...
                    X