rear window dont fully closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window dont fully closing

Hi guys thought all was going well rear window has started clicking about an inch short of being fully closed even with the tailgate opened and teh latches fooled into thinking its closed so there shouldnt be any drag from the rubbers etc

ANY IDEAS

i have cleaned all the tracks etc i have also greased every thing

must say im not impressed as its just failed its M.O.T on brakes shoes and CV joint suppose it could have been worse

any ideas how i can sort without spending a fortune or even better without spending anything

cheers guys
    Last edited by BAV1; 31 January 2010, 19:21.

try swapping a motor from the passenger side door to the tailgate and see if that makes a difference.If not then it could be the mechanism its-self
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks stormforce didnt really want to start swapping motors it sounds like its jumping teeth on the ratchet

however a rear window doesnt work currectly its as if the window isnt connected to the glass meaning to sort for ages now my be the time

any ideas how i remove the motor in the tailgate i can see teh four bolts but not sure the best way of disconnecting all the ratchets etc

cheers

Comment

undo the 4 bolts then you need to release the catch cables and the lock and handle bars.You will then need to push the mechanisn side to side to release the mechanism from the runners on the window then you should be able to get the mechanism out

Comment

so is the motor in the rear doors the same as in the tailgate if so i think i will sacrifice the rear door window for now sounds like a plan

Comment

I'd look at the mechanism, sounds more like that than the motor.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              I'd look at the mechanism, sounds more like that than the motor.
              dont say that lol i can do without a rear window if its not going to cost anything

really dont want to have to source a new mech

the teeth etc seem ok if it makes any difference its almost as if the window has extended past its maximum travel if that make sense as if have managed to push the window up all the way and now the motors just spins withcatching or clicking in both directions until i pull the glass down a couple of inches then it catches

does anyone know if the motor has a certain length of travel

anyone know roughly cost to replace

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
                dont say that lol i can do without a rear window if its not going to cost anything

really dont want to have to source a new mech

the teeth etc seem ok if it makes any difference its almost as if the window has extended past its maximum travel if that make sense as if have managed to push the window up all the way and now the motors just spins withcatching or clicking in both directions until i pull the glass down a couple of inches then it catches

anyone know roughly cost to replace
                The motor doesn't but the mechanism does. If the mech is ok, then it needs adjusted.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

nope.

You need have a look inside, if the teeth on the regulator and the motor are worn, you can often stack a couple of washers under the motor to let a new bit of gear run on the regulator.

the shaft of the motor gear usually wears, so the gear dosn't make proper contact on the regulator teeth.

if you leave it to long it will wear down the regulator teeth, so get it fixed as soon as it starts to skip.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    nope.

You need have a look inside, if the teeth on the regulator and the motor are worn, you can often stack a couple of washers under the motor to let a new bit of gear run on the regulator.

the shaft of the motor gear usually wears, so the gear dosn't make proper contact on the regulator teeth.

if you leave it to long it will wear down the regulator teeth, so get it fixed as soon as it starts to skip.
                    cheers guys Tonys explanation sounds more like whats happening dont suppose you have any pics of which bit i need to look at i know it sounds stupid but back in work on tuesday and only have a couple of hours tomoz to try and get sorted as it going back ofr its MOT retest pads and cvboot not bad i suppose

thanks again guys
                    need a couple of months where i dont spend anything on her (the truck that is) so i can get on with some final mods

out of interest are the dor motors the same as teh tailgate may replace anyway if they are

any know about the eletcric door mirrors when im at it

and where i can get a new mech from if needed

Comment

the n/s motors are a straight swap over.You can probably put the tailgate motor back in the door and it'll work ok as it won't have the weight to lift.
                      What do you need to know about the mirrors.
                      I sell 2nd hand mechanisms for £40 delivered

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        the n/s motors are a straight swap over.You can probably put the tailgate motor back in the door and it'll work ok as it won't have the weight to lift.
                        What do you need to know about the mirrors.
                        I sell 2nd hand mechanisms for £40 delivered

cheers mate sounds like a plan fingers crossed i dont need to order a mech but at least i know just in case

the mirrors have stopped working, both of them i have only checked the contacts on the switch just wondered how to get the glass out as i believe its common for the motors to sieze so wanted to give them a soakin with the old wd40

this is probably related but the warning light in the door lights when you open the door then goes out and comes back on when fully opened i suspect a broken wire somewhere

just wanted all the info so i can go through all the diags at once

are there any write ups anywhere on removing the motors
                        Last edited by BAV1; 31 January 2010, 22:01.

Comment

there should be write ups on here somewhere.I would say that there is a broken wire on the drivers door side where it goes from the door to body for the mirrors to play up.You can't just take the glass out of them without it breaking.

Comment

Working...
                          X