Why is my steering not straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my steering not straight?

Well small background....hit a concrete wall at about 15-20kmh on black ice, hit the front as it slid into the whole side.

So my steering wheel was out of alignment, checked for obvious damage seems ok, so finally managed to get my wheel alignment done today.

There has been no vibration etc just an off centre steering wheel and adjustment to be made when driving.

The wheel alignment was out on the drivers side (where I hit) and after a blow torch and several swear words the garage got it aligned to the back wheels and across the front. As far as i could see......

BUT the steering is exactly the same?

If I out the front wheels as straight as the eye can see, the wheel is slightly left, when I'm driving it needs steering slightly right to go straight, and when you let go of the wheel it drives straight but the wheel to the left.

HELP??????

Take it back and get them to re-check it. Then, if they find nothing wrong, take it somewhere else to be checked.

There is something very wrong.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yeh thought so just wondered if anyone had any ideas to be honest?

Comment

When you say 'steering slightly right' do you mean you have to pull the wheel to the right to keep the truck straight? You contradict what you say a wee bit and I may be misunderstanding you.

Comment

Only a wee bit?

I read it twice and I'm still none the wiser!

Comment

You see that's my whole problem LOL!!!!!

ok it baffles me but....as simple as I can explain it

When I straighten the truck wheels (standstill jumping in and out to gauge the wheels being straight by eye) the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left.

When I'm actually driving her, I find myself steering to the right to keep her straight.

BUT if I take me hands off the wheel and roll she goes straight and the steering wheel is slightly left again while doing so!

Any more helpful???? Sorry guys I'm baffled myself hence coming on here to ask the knowledgable

Comment

The steering wheel is squint. Take it back to the garage that did the tracking and have them fix it. It's caused by not adjusting both track rods by the same ammount.

2 remedies are, take the wheel off and re-center it, or totally realign the tracking. Which do you think they'll do?

Comment

I'm guessing you've damaged something on the suspension and all they've done is re-toed it. ?

Therefore your suspension could still be damaged (most likely a knackered or bent steering rod / rod end or worn ball joint, possibly the bushes on the wishbones) so that even though the wheels face straight as soon as you drive it the slackness is causing it to pull to the left.

Maybe try a friendly MOT place and ask them to give the front steering and suspension a good check.

Rob.

Comment

Part of the realignment process should have been to check everything for damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Part of the realignment process should have been to check everything for damage.
                    Generally they seem to do as little as possible for the money. ie: tracking is only a toe alignment so just stick the thingys on each wheel and adjust one until it measures right on the gauges...

When I took my truck in for alignment the bloke came out to me after 20 mins or so and asked what bolts did what on the lower arms...

Comment

Ok thanks guys, basically I need to trust the local garage to have a look and not rip me off by the sounds of it......

Thanks very much

Comment

i had the wheels pointing slightly different directions after a bit of off roading and the track rod ends ended up knackered and the tracking out by 35 degrees.All i did was drop the front of the truck into a rut which was a bit deeper than i thought.I ended up having the tracking done new t/r/ends and 2 new tyres
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Are the track rod ends expensive? Is it worth getting off one of your breakers Richard or buy new?

Comment

i would buy new myself as i don't know what abuse the balljoints on the breakers have had.I would sell them but with no come backs what so ever. Go to www.roughtrax4x4.com and get what you need from there.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

How hard is it just to replace the whole tie rod?

At £64 for a pair of the full kits i think it might be worth just replacing them both and then getting tracking done again.

Going to cost me an hours labour for the local garage just to diagnose.

Yes, no? Silly idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X