Blown transfer case! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown transfer case! Help!

Howdy folks, I am an American living in Japan. I have a 3rd gen 1996 3.0 1KZサーフ that has given me it's first major issue in 2 1/2 years. With all four wheels chained up, while going uphill in about two foot of snow, the Xfer case detonated, but it still works in 2wd.

I am looking for a used one but, my rig is a (multi-matic) 5 speed, and the dealer is telling me they are different between manuals (PN of 36110-35292) and autos (PN of 36110‑35142). I can't find a used one from a manual.

So my question to all you who may have had the same issue with the weak arse X case is `Will one from a auto work?` They seem to be the same on the outside and the only info I can get from the dealer is that maybe the gears inside are different. I am not sure if the drivelines would need lengthening/ shortening. Anybody got any experience?

Photo of my rig here http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/oregoneric/IMG_0367.jpg

Well, in case you were wondering, there are three different Xcases, one with full time 4wd, one for the auto, and one for the 5 speed. They all seem to have gear ratios of 2.56/1 in low range. I was hoping one of them were lower but no such luck. They are all chain driven, which you can take for what it's worth.

Anyway, I got my rig apart and found the problem. Does this look familiar to anyone?

Comment

I got her fixed and did some pointless snow climbing in front of the house. It seems everything is in working order now.

Comment

Glad you got her fixed.

I wouldn't have had a clue where to start, so it's probably good that I missed this thread until now.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Cool, not seen a broken T/case on a 3rd Gen yet, Good work!!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            Cool, not seen a broken T/case on a 3rd Gen yet, Good work!!
            That's good news! I was a little worried that it was a hunk of crap. Have you heard of any lower gears a guy can stick in there or is that just for the gear driven units?

Anyway, it took a little longer than I figured to switch out the front diff, like six hours. It was about -15C and snowing and we were busy standing by the jet heater drinking beer, probably cost us a little bit.

Comment

Working...
            X