No announcement yet.

steering help needed please HELP HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering help needed please HELP HELP!!

Need your help again guys, as i was backing out of a tight space today put full left hand lock on and now cant get it off! The steering has just locked itself and wont go back,its not the actual steering lock on the coloumn or the track rod ends as when i jacked it up to try and get a look at it everything moves/has a bit of play (to some extent) all except the steering box (at least i think it is!)where the steering coloumn goes in too are these easy to repair/fit (a new 1) and is this a heard of fault .Please help as im still learning with my surf and at the moment it seems to want me to learn the hard way!
    cheers ,pete
    hilux surf 2.4 auto ssr-x 1991

Is the power steering belt still on and turning?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Is the power steering belt still on and turning?
      yeh everything like that is fine belt fulid etc... totaly got me!!??

Comment

Originally posted by pocketrocket View Post
        yeh everything like that is fine belt fulid etc... totaly got me!!??
        Tried jacking the front wheels off the ground and turning the steereing wheel?
        (engine off)

Comment

Tried jacking the front wheels off the ground and turning the steereing wheel?
          (engine off)
          yeh tried that from what i can see all the rods move up till they get to the box thats got the arm on it where the coloumn goes into(if u know what i mean!!)

Comment

is the steering acutally locked?as if steering lock is on?or feels like it doesnt want to move?

Comment

Originally posted by darkdezigns View Post
              is the steering acutally locked?as if steering lock is on?or feels like it doesnt want to move?
              yes feels like that when u try and turn it to the right hand side but will only move a little to the left as normal

Comment

It has been known for the woodruff key to shear on the pump shaft. The pulley will still turn with the engine/belt but not the pump shaft.
                You'll need to remove the p/s pump belt and see if resistance is felt when you turn the pulley by hand, or see if the pump shaft is turning.

Comment

It has been known for the woodruff key to shear on the pump shaft. The pulley will still turn with the engine/belt but not the pump shaft.
                  You'll need to remove the p/s pump belt and see if resistance is felt when you turn the pulley by hand, or see if the pump shaft is turning.
                  engine revs drop slightly when u put pressure on steering putting engine under load so this makes me think that the pump is ok but i will certainly check this out thanks for the feedback tho

Comment

discovered what was causing my steering problem ,it turned out thet the arm that fits onto the splined part on the steering box had got a massive crack in it! when i put on full l/h lock the wheels stayed there but the steering box and steering wheel went right thats why it fetl like it had locked a quick pic to show u what i mean

the circle is where the crack is (was bodged up before) and the arrows point to the part i now need,does anyone know if i can get these part off the shelf new ,ie new ball joint replacement or are they just second hand?
                    cheers pete.

Comment

Here you go Pete
                      http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=142
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I'd call that a pitman arm.
                        should be plenty around second hand, bugger to get off normally.
                        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Stormforce beat me to it, so I will post this instead.

Disco
                          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                            I'd call that a pitman arm.
                            should be plenty around second hand, bugger to get off normally.
                            they are, thats why i'd be vaguly worried about using a 2nd hand one, as you normally have to heat them up and beat the hell out of them unless you have a HGV sized puller.

can't believe someone welded a cast steering component, thats just criminal.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                              they are, thats why i'd be vaguly worried about using a 2nd hand one, as you normally have to heat them up and beat the hell out of them unless you have a HGV sized puller.

can't believe someone welded a cast steering component, thats just criminal.
                              Lucky they never killed someone.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X