Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non existant starting

Hi all, nice to join the group.

I have a 93 SSRX 2.4 TD Surf, the problem I have is since the cold weather has hit my beast refuses point blank to start. It was always slow to start before but when burst into life always ran sweet as a dream throughout the day, even after leaving it for several hours. The 80 amp fuse is not blown, both batteries are sweet and the glow plugs have been replaced with the NGK type from Roughtrax and the same match to the ones that came out. I cant see any leaks from the primer pump to the fuel injector pump, or the injectors but thought with the age of the beast I may have a slight back flow in the fuel, "the one thing I did notice over the last few weeks is this starting problem got increasenly worse since adding Redex Diesel treatment", and maybe caused a small leak in a seal somewhere, I cant seem to find any bleed screws on the primer or the pump itself to try and cure the back flow " if indeed that is the problem".

If anyone can help or give any advice, hints or tips it would be appreciated as I am missing my pride and joy being on the road.

If you have not done so, change the fuel filter, fill it with redex and start it.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Although the 80amp fuse isn't blown have you checked to see that you are getting power to the glowplugs? Just in case the relay has failed.

Also have you tried hand priming the system before you try to start it?
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

your starting issue was exactly the same as mine and a few others recently.It is all glowplug related i'm sure as a few of us have changed the glowplugs and its cured.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          your starting issue was exactly the same as mine and a few others recently.It is all glowplug related i'm sure as a few of us have changed the glowplugs and its cured.
          think hes already changed the glow plugs
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Try priming the pump on top of filter before you start next time. If this works then look for possible air leak back into pump or fuel lines. Maybe the pump seals a shrinking a little and sucking air in as the engine cools.

Nev

Comment

if you are priming the system then make sure its firm and giving resistance after a few pumps.

Comment

Non existant starting

Thanks to all that replied, nice to know there is help out there when needed.

Power is certainly going to the glow plugs, and there was no leaks in the fuel lines or otherwise 2 weeks ago or when I checked again today.

Ordered a new fuel filter from roughtrax that arrived today, on fitting it " a bugger to get the old one off" found that the primer pump is knackered, after 25 mins of pumping the ###### thing trying to get fuel through it and getting no resistance at all, "just a sucking sound from the top of the primer head ".

Have ordered a new primer pump that should arrive tomorrow, with some luck and talking nice to my beast all should be well and I'll be happy again.

This may also be a stupid question but is there a bleed screw on the injector pump or is it a case of cracking a nut on the end injector and pumping it until the fuel shows, or is there an easier way? Every other Diesel I have owned always had a bleed screw either on the primer or the injector pump!!!!

Will keep you all updated on progress and a happy Xmas to all.

Comment

Try priming while the engine's cranking over... failing that try cracking each injector in turn while cranking it over !!
                  Good Luck

There's always a Payback .. Cos ya don't know where n ya never know when !!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

If you follow the filter to pump fuel line, to the pump, then the connection on top of pump is a bleed nipple.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                    X