Gen 2: Rear window not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2: Rear window not working

Would really appreciate some advice here. Thinking of buying a '95 Gen 2 SSR(G) (my first Surf) which looks to be in pretty good condition except for a non-functioning rear window. The motor is apparently working ok, but the window does not stay up - it slides down. I imagine that it is just to do with the brackets that hold the glass. The owner has done a temporary fix by holding the glass closed with wooden blocks rather than fixing it, but this means you can't open the tail gate...

He is selling at a discount because of this fault. My question is: has anyone seen this problem before, is it cheap to fix?

Finally, the only other thing I noticed is some black smoke on start up, a little smoke when running and some oily soot inside the exhaust. I have done some searches on this on the forum and elsewhere - am I right not to be too worried about this?

Thanks

PB

Hi PB, when i bought my 4runner the rear tailgate window was the same as your's I simply ordered a new regulator from Milner 4x4 online, it was realy easy as my 18 year old son did it for me, the window works great now, he did run some silicon grease spray stuff up the runners, there were teeth missing off the old regulator.
    I think with £15 delivery to Shetland it cost me around £80.
    I dont know if your Surf is petrol or diesel, the smoke and soot sounds ok to me unless it is excesive, but I am sure someone will be able to clarify, Paul

Comment

I have got some very good condition runners on the glas of the breaker here.£20 delivered.If you require a motor that is £30 delivered and if you need the mechanism that is £40 delivered.If you require more than 1 item then a price will be sorted accordingly on the postage for you
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I bought the Surf and am very pleased with it. Negotiated a great price because of the tailgate / window problems. It is in the garage for a cam belt change and I will have a good look at the rear window and fix it myself next week. Stormforce - thanks for telling me about the spares, I will get back to you next week once I have worked out which parts I need.

PB

Comment

No worries my contact details are in my thread in the parts for sale section if needed

Comment

I saw that I needed new runners (and the seller told me) so I ordered these before the reply from Stormforce offering second hand ones. Looks like I will probably need a replacement window regulator unit, as it is a little bent out of shape I think where the wood has been placed to prop up the window.

Thing is, there is no power to the tailgate at all: the de-mister and the rear wiper do not work and there is nothing when I try the motor for the window (after moving the wood blocking it up) except a small click. The small click suggests that the circuit is ok up to a point. I looked at the fuse marked for the tailgate in the drivers footwell and it was fine.

I have seen other posts suggesting you need to take off the n/s/r inner trim and look for connections there and potentially replace the realy - could a loose connection there account for both the window / de-mister and the rear wiper not working? How do you do get the rear trim off by the way?

Thanks for the help.

PB

Comment

Look at the bottom of this page for helpful links.

Changing the relays is a 1 hour job and will make a difference.

HRW and Wiper may be fuses, may be relays or may be broken wires.

Many people have had these problems, you're not alone!
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I bought new runners for the rear window and installed them myself. The old ones were rusted away. I got autoelectrics in Swindon to diagnose the problem with the electrics (broken motor and relay / control box). I got sourced both of these items second hand cheaply and got autoelectrics to install them. Once they were installed everything works smoothly, even the rear wiper is now working. Only thing that doesn't work is using the key to raise the window - I have to use the dashboard switch. All in all I paid considerably less than the substantial discount I negotiated off the asking price for the Surf, so I am quids in.

Amusingly I gave myself a scare the other day. I went to the hills with kids, dog, sledges and skis. After getting kit and dog out of the back, I couldn't get the window to raise up. I convinced myself it was broken - ideal timing in the snow - but of course it was because I had put on the window lock because the children were playing with them during the drive...

I am loving my new truck, especially in this weather. Could have spent a grand more and got a Gen 3 with ABS, but happy with the Gen 2 - just drive a bit more carefully on the snow and ice.
                Attached Files

Comment

I've also got a tailgate window issue - it works, in so much as it goes up and down, but slowly, and going up it gets 4/5ths closed, slows down, window tilts to one side slightly, there's a clunk, and it finally moves slowly into position...

I've taken the inside trim off to get at it, greased the teeth of the lifting gears, smeared grease up the rubber runners (reached up with a long screwdriver) - but the problem hasn't gone away...

I'll look into getting some silicon spray tomorrow and see if that helps.

Comment

check the runners on the bottom of the window and also the plastic guides on the window mechanism itself as both of these could be the problem especially if the window is tilting to one side

Comment

It's obviously all well hidden inside the door - the runners looked ok... Wonder if the motor is getting a bit tired? That would account for the slow rate of movement. The tilting and the clunk is presumably either too much friction, and on one side, either where the glass is moving through the rubber runners, or possibly the movement of the actuator?

Comment

Working...
                      X