Poor Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Brakes

Everyone know's by now that I crashed my car by driving into the back of someone. At first I just thought it was only driver error, but since I've been driving the Corsa, and a mate's 306 (1995 too) and today I got the Surf back (looking absolutely superb I might add!!), I've noticed that the braking is really really poo(r). it just doesn't
    I've checked all pads, shoes, disks and drums and all look well. The pedal isn't spongey, so I dont think there's any air in the system, Just wondered what would be the best way to go about improving braking?
    I was thinking about first bleeding brake fluid.
    Then maybe trying new pads and disks?
    Has anybody tried vented or grooved disks?
    High performance pads?

Just want the car to be a little safer.

Anybody had similar problems.

Thanks

Sam

if it passes a mot test then they must be ok and you need to give it a little extra room to stop as it is about twice the weight of the other cars you have deen driving nd in the case of the corsa probably 3 times as much, if you want to up rate the system then you could go for discs on the rear instead of drums , i thing you might be able to get ones from a land crusier to fit .
    Last edited by surffreak; 2 June 2004, 21:36.
    so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

if it passes a mot test then they must be ok and you need to give it a little extra room to stop as it is about twice the weight of the other cars you have deen driving

This isn't so. One of my Surfs hit another car a couple of months back just a couple of weeks after passing an MOT. I had the brakes checked again and it still passed although it was not capable of locking the wheels when braking hard at over 40mph.

Comment

try genuine pads firstly, then new discs, (front discs are already vented).(performance pads are generally 'harder' which means they are more resistant to fade, but are less efficient when cold)
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
          try genuine pads firstly, then new discs, (front discs are already vented).(performance pads are generally 'harder' which means they are more resistant to fade, but are less efficient when cold)
          I actually found that non genuine pads stop better as they tend to be softer than Toyota's rather hard compound pads. However they do fade more if using them a lot which ain't too good in hilly country and they do wear out quicker.

Cheers

Comment

i stand corrected on that point elvz , when mine was last tested they didnt do it on a rolling road they used a declerometer as it is a 4x4 and auto so they said it should not be done on the rollers. have you ever changed to discs on the back yet? if any one knows if it is possable then it will have been done by you?
            so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Working...
            X