Timing belt question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt question.

I booked in and took my surf LN130 2.4td auto for a new timing belt/coolant/oilchange- filter at a MoT garage I've used before, initally this was on the 20th, when I turned up all early they guy asked if I could come back after the weekend as he was feeling pretty ill and didn't feel upto it, (thanks for the call) but it seemed he didn't have the belt orderd as yet.

So I spoke with him on monday and agreed to take the surf back in on tuesday wich I did, at close of play tuesday I phoned and was told that there was about two more hours work left on the surf and it should be ready wednesday, and that the belt looked ok and probably didn't need changing blah blah

So I called wednesday and got a story about a stuck pulley, I've tried searching this, and can't find much of an answer, now the guy that runs the garage is away for two days on an Mot course and has another mechanic there working; I spoke to him at 3 today, and he sounded vauge but knew about this stuck pulley at the bottom of the engine, I called back at 5 and he said he'd gotten it off and it was best to speak to the garage owner on sunday or monday when he was back.

Ok I've managed to remain calm so far, but I really feel like these guys are taking the ####, they reason they claim it's so tricky is that they didn't want to remove the rad as the hoses looked like they wouldn't stand much movement.

Now I've seen posts where one guy and his internet have managed it in two hours, are these guys blowing smoke up my arse or does any of this sound valid?

(I haven't attempted this job myself, for three reasons, no tools no time and no place to do it in)

peace
    cal
    Last edited by Calos; 26 November 2009, 22:48.
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

I suppose it could be done in a little over two hours if you had done the job more than once before, but no more than five for a first timer DIY. Less for a professional outfit with all the tools at their disposal.

The radiator need to come out to get at everything.

3.0 timing belts can be done in 30-45 minutes.

I would ask to see some proof of qualifications/competancy before handing over the rediculous amount they're going to charge you.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      I suppose it could be done in a little over two hours if you had done the job more than once before, but no more than five for a first timer DIY. Less for a professional outfit with all the tools at their disposal.

The radiator need to come out to get at everything.

3.0 timing belts can be done in 30-45 minutes.

I would ask to see some proof of qualifications/competancy before handing over the rediculous amount they're going to charge you.

Thanks Bush, I suppose what I should have done was ask on here where to go or offer some cash and bacon butties for any helpful surf forum users willing to help.

As for the bill, well if it's over £180, three things will happen one will be my driving my surf away with the spare key, two will be letter from my solicitor claiming loss of earnings while the car has been in there. and three will be an article in the local newspapers about this trail of events.

Or I might calm down and let them negociate.

peace
      cal

Comment

Okies update, finally got the surf back:
        The bill read as follows
        replacement cambelt and tenssioner £120
        new crank shaft pully £90
        3 drive belts £29.66
        anti freeze £18
        labour £190
        sub total £447.66
        vat @15% £67.14
        total : £514.80
        he ordered in the full belt kit the old belts had splits and quite a bit of fatiuge
        The old pully looked like it had been bodged wich was the cause of the delay, they couldn't get it off!, it looked like it had been taken off and replaced with a lump hammer.

So after 5 days the surf is back, and it honestly is running very very well, seems to have little more umph and the fuel gauge light only came on after 97 km (it last came and I put a £10 in and drove to the garage) it was comming on after 67km before the work on the beast.

More than I wanted to pay but it doesn't seem too harsh and the end of the day.

Right then, next NWales outing?

peace
        cal
        Last edited by Calos; 3 December 2009, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
        X