F***king Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F***king Starter Motor

OK it looks like my playing in Puddles and in the Mud over the weekend have taken its toll on my beloved Starter (Grrrrrr).

It was playing up but i did not know what was causing the problem, however after searching the Forum last night I came to the decision that I needed a referb kit for my Starter motor and that this weekend is gona be starter motor work weekend.

I have followed a few threads and read as much as I can to make sure it’s something that I can get done by myself (fingers crossed it hold off on the rain whilst I pull the starter out and put it back in again)

Apart form the things mentioned in the threads like

Remove the Air Filter
    Move the Fuel Filter
    Move the ATF dipstick
    Remove the Front Nearside wheel

Then get the thing out up and not down once you have managed to undo the 17mm bolt that’s holding it in…..

Anybody know how long this process takes on a truck that’s not had a Body lift done?
    Always room for more power!!!!

Hi mate,

Did mine last winter oh boy was it cold Brrrrrrrrr.
    Anyways it took me over six hours, but only 30 mins
    to change the contacts. and 1 hour to put it back.
    In the end I resorted to cutting the inner wing with my
    trusty angle grinder, and got it out/in thru the side.
    (brutal but effective, don't cut the rear heater pipes)

Hope this helps.

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

6 hours is madness specially in the winter.

Comment

Get yourself a flexi-ratchet spanner, tis easy then.

its the sort of job that take hours first time, and 1/2 next and every other time.

You don't need to cut the inner wing, with the filters and stuff out the way, pull it back out the gearbox and up and twist and it comes out.

try it on a 2.4, then be thankfull yours is a 3.0.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Nice one thanks Tony much appreciated, will give it a go see how flipping tight the bolts are before I get going.

Comment

Did mine last spring, (3.0TD) took 1 n 1/2 hours to get out, refurb n back in, removed the stuff mentioned but not the wheel, only one nut was a pure bstard to get out and also replace but only had extension bar n ratchet no bendy thing. Leave one of the easy

Comment

Working...
            X