live axel????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live axel????

does anyone know if 92 surfs have live axel or not? How is the best way to tell. The reason is ask is that my boss just found out i own a surf and said "Surfs are yuppie 4x4s. they dont even have live axel." He owns a Landy so that probably explains everything!
    BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Originally posted by AUSSIESURF
    does anyone know if 92 surfs have live axel or not? How is the best way to tell. The reason is ask is that my boss just found out i own a surf and said "Surfs are yuppie 4x4s. they dont even have live axel." He owns a Landy so that probably explains everything!
    It has a live rear axle, but independant front.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

so go on then... what's one of them??... just a solid beam axle?

or is there some jiggery pokery going on inside it?
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
        so go on then... what's one of them??... just a solid beam axle?......
        Yep. Solid axle from one side to 'tother
        Maurice

Comment

a 'live' axel is one that is part of the unsprung mass, as in it moves with the wheels and is not in a fixed position on the chassis.
          [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Shish
            a 'live' axel is one that is part of the unsprung mass, as in it moves with the wheels and is not in a fixed position on the chassis.
            ah, gat ya... don't the older ones have this on the front as well?
            i have drive shafts ans mcpherson strut suspension... 2nd gen has torsion bar independent... but doesn't the Mk1 and pick up have solid front axle?... i know tony's did but i think that was a mod to help with with lift
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
              ah, gat ya... don't the older ones have this on the front as well?
              i have drive shafts ans mcpherson strut suspension... 2nd gen has torsion bar independent... but doesn't the Mk1 and pick up have solid front axle?... i know tony's did but i think that was a mod to help with with lift
              Pickups have it and early 1st gens, I think the later 1st gens changed to IFS (independent front suspension), hence loosing the live axle.
              Maurice

Comment

Up to 86 1st gens have a solid axle, thats why they are so sought after in the US, after that they went IFS to make room for the V6, IFS front are far nicer on the road, but you only have 1/2 the flex of a solid axle one.

Our grey surf is getting a SAS (solid axle swap) as soon as I get my finger out.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by AUSSIESURF
                  Aussie, your boss is taking the PI$$, give him a smack in the chops!
                  When he wakes up tell him Woodie told you to do it!
                  ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
                  X