V8 into Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 into Surf

Got my rover sd1 V8,now all what needs to be done is to get it in my truck.
    What do i need,mounts/box any cutting to do etcetc;

Any help(not medical)or advice would be just great mates;;

Had any luck with this yet??
    93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

Comment

No not a sausage;;;

Comment

I. Open rear window

2. drop down tailgate

3. get 4 sturdy blokes to lift .

4. optional put old blanket in boot first to avoid mess

good luck!
        ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Of course stupid me was trying to get it through the sunroof

Hey Duke you got them wheels on yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mick b
            Got my rover sd1 V8,now all what needs to be done is to get it in my truck.
            What do i need,mounts/box any cutting to do etcetc;

Any help(not medical)or advice would be just great mates;;
            Your man for this is TonyN . He has most of his bits ready for his Surf V8 job . He will be posting progress on this project as he goes I think , he normally does .
            He is in NY at present , I believe , so wait to see when he posts next . He is a wealth of information on Rover V8's and grinders .

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              Your man for this is TonyN . He has most of his bits ready for his Surf V8 job . He will be posting progress on this project as he goes I think , he normally does .
              He is in NY at present , I believe , so wait to see when he posts next . He is a wealth of information on Rover V8's and grinders .

Rick
              Oky Doky thank you much.

Comment

not yet mick
                ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  He is a wealth of information on Rover V8's and grinders .

Rick
                  wouldn't be surprised if he had a v8 grinder...
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

It will certainly fit, I think the best way is to drop the engine in on a crane and line it up in the postion that looks right. You need to allow for radiator, a decent gap to the firewall, room for the bonnet to close etc.

Make sure the gearbox is attached so that you can line that up with the transfer case so that it is not running at an angle.

If you haven't got one already you can get an adaptor plate to mate the Toyota Gearbox to the SD1 engine, this would make everything easier.

Don't think that any cutting of the firewall will be required, just need to fabricate the engine mounts. Use the existing mount positions on the engine and weld new mount postions on the chassis rails.

If you don't use the Toyota Gearbox, you may need to cut out the transmission tunnel and rebuild larger as it isn't that large.

Tony is you man though as he has done it on a Pickup and is going to do it on his Surf.

Have a look here, This guy fitted a Ford 5.0 V8 to his so a Rover which is considerably smaller and lighter will definately fit no problem.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      It will certainly fit, I think the best way is to drop the engine in on a crane and line it up in the postion that looks right. You need to allow for radiator, a decent gap to the firewall, room for the bonnet to close etc.

Make sure the gearbox is attached so that you can line that up with the transfer case so that it is not running at an angle.

If you haven't got one already you can get an adaptor plate to mate the Toyota Gearbox to the SD1 engine, this would make everything easier.

Don't think that any cutting of the firewall will be required, just need to fabricate the engine mounts. Use the existing mount positions on the engine and weld new mount postions on the chassis rails.

If you don't use the Toyota Gearbox, you may need to cut out the transmission tunnel and rebuild larger as it isn't that large.

Tony is you man though as he has done it on a Pickup and is going to do it on his Surf.

Have a look here, This guy fitted a Ford 5.0 V8 to his so a Rover which is considerably smaller and lighter will definately fit no problem.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/

Cheers

Thanks for the info man,i know bonnet clearence is no problem because with my body lift the engine now sits pretty low anyway,this adapter you mention where can i get one if anywhere?

Also i imagine the prop would have to be altered to suit the longer engine.The adapter plate is useable with the auto box off the surf i take it?

This conversion does'nt actually seem to difficult,just want to get it in and hear the rumble and i bet it won't be any more thirsty than a 2.4,but who cares about economy anyways.

Comment

Thanks for the info man,i know bonnet clearence is no problem because with my body lift the engine now sits pretty low anyway,this adapter you mention where can i get one if anywhere?

Also i imagine the prop would have to be altered to suit the longer engine.The adapter plate is useable with the auto box off the surf i take it?

This conversion does'nt actually seem to difficult,just want to get it in and hear the rumble and i bet it won't be any more thirsty than a 2.4,but who cares about economy anyways.
                        Have a look on the milners website www.milneroffroad.com and give them a call. I don't think it is actually Milners that do the parts now but an offshoot. I think it will fit the Autobox.

You will probably not need a modified prop as actually I think the box mounts direct to the transfer case and as long as that doesn't move then no problem. You will need to be carefull about placing the engine that's all. I don't think that the Rover V8 is actually much longer if any than the Toyota Diesel lump so there shouldn't be any fore / aft location problems, only need for care is in side to side location because of the extra width of the V engine and also clearance of the Sump. I think that the Range Rover Sump is the one to go for as I think it is a different shape to the normal SD1 engine sump from the car. You need the clearance for the front crossmember and diff.

Cheers

Comment

Okay thanks again for the info,it all helps.

Comment

Okay thanks again for the info,it all helps.
                            Mick.

Just had another thought - probably the one I should have had first. Talk to the guys at LA Supertrux, they are in Daventry so it's your part of the world. I am sure that they have done this, certainly into a Pickup so they may be able to help, maybe even supply the parts.

Cheers

Comment

As it happens i was down there last month picking my truck up cos they done the lift on it,could of asked then but i hadn't really thought about it then.

There were some pukka mota's there though apart from the monster trucks there was a couple of suzi's there one with a 3.0 L ford and one with a V8 rover COOL(engine that is).

Comment

Working...
                              X