Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox? or 4WD system?

Can someone give me some advice please?

I have a Japanese Import 1998 Toyota Hilux Surf (Vin K2N185) which i think the gearbox, or 4WD system has broken on it.

When my partner was out driving it, all the 4WD system lights on the dashboard suddenly came on, and it became very sluggish in changing gears, and didn't wish to participate in climb a hill very easily!

We have since got it home, and got it back into 2H, however it moves forward and back with normal power, but as soon as we drive it up the road it changes gear fine the first couple of times, but then gets sluggish again, and there is a oily/burning smell coming up from the centre console.

My deliemma is, is it part of the 4WD system or the gearbox that is broken? i don't want to fork out for one expensive part, and find out it is the other!

The only other problem i have had with it in the past, was the rad broke, causing water to mix with the oil in the gearbox. This happened in May 2008, and the garage flushed it all out, installed a new rad, and i took it back to them a month later to have a complete gearbox flushout again, to ensure there was no more water, and new oil was put in. Is it possible that the gearbox, never fully recovered?

Any help or advice will be gratefully received

Kev
Working...
X