Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diff' bearing..

Anyone done one of these..??

Got a lot of play in the O/S/F shaft. So much so its leaking oil. I replaced the oil seal but is still leaking.

Looks like a fair job to replace the bearing, all im wondering is whether the pre-load/backlash etc needs setting again if i go into the casing..??
    Attached Files

strip it.

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post

Got a lot of play in the O/S/F shaft. So much so its leaking oil. I replaced the oil seal but is still leaking.

Looks like a fair job to replace the bearing, all im wondering is whether the pre-load/backlash etc needs setting again if i go into the casing..??
    Strip the diff, i had mine apart recently. took the diff rite out, took the cover of and after that its easy, if youre at all mechanically minded you,ll seee how easy it is, put mine back together and has been great since, that was back in october ,08.

Comment

off topic but just up your street Arch motors has a 2 gen Surf in for Breaking.
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

has he..??

he has a hilux with solid axles, been contemplating grabbing those off him an SAS'in still not fully committed to the idea tho

I have the diff off, not had time to crack the front plate for a look tho..my only concern was pre-load & backlash if i pulled it apart, but if i can pull the diff assy out complete and replace the bearing we're laughin

Comment

its lifted by the looks of it and has 5 brand new tyres on split rim alloys but i bet they have gone by now, only prob with it is the head has gone and the rad has been sold, but that could of all changed as i was there on Monday.
          Worth a look tho.

Saw that pick up

hey try owning a green oval, they eat diffs for breakfast

Comment

You'll need to get the correct settings for anything you pull apart..

Because you're not touching the pinion you shouldn't have too much of a headache dealing with it!

As i said.. You'll need the settings to be 100% right.. there is no margin for error or you'll destroy the ring gear!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post

hey try owning a green oval, they eat diffs for breakfast
              have you got that sorted yet..??

this is one of the jobs from our outting @ Bala..lol..proper offroading soon hunts out any weakness in your truck eh..

Comment

have you got that sorted yet..??

this is one of the jobs from our outting @ Bala..lol..proper offroading soon hunts out any weakness in your truck eh..
                i keep breakin it and then fixin it.
                spent more time fixing it than driveing it, thats why i got it
                back to Bala in 2 weeks, see what i break this time

Comment

Working...
                X