Here's a new one for you all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a new one for you all!

My aluminium valve caps are seized solid onto the valves!

Today I thought I'd check the tyre pressures etc.

Couldn't get one, not one of the damn caps off!

Tried WD40, 3 in 1 oil and finally the wife's lighter!

They wouldn't budge!

WTF?

The valve stems are so delicate that you just can't get any purchase to unscrew them!

I guess new valves are in order!

Top Tip, Avoid "Boy Racer" type aluminium valve caps!

LOL, I was wondering why the local kids hadn't nicked 'em!

you sure they're not locking valve caps?
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Re

Deffo not locking caps!

Just cheapie "go faster" ones I got in a boy racer shop one day!

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
        Deffo not locking caps!

Just cheapie "go faster" ones I got in a boy racer shop one day!
        lol
        i thought you bought the truk with them on
        Didnt realise you put them on
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

been there and done that, i had to use a dremmel to cut a slot down the side of them to get them off.
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

try a hairdryer....

seriously.

heat the caps up with a hairdrier, might expand them and loosen them a bit.

worked for me on other things (jammed casing on son's pit bike was the latest), never tried on valve caps.... yet.....
            My other cars a QUAD
            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
              try a hairdryer....

seriously.

heat the caps up with a hairdrier, might expand them and loosen them a bit.
              Tried WD40, 3 in 1 oil and finally the wife's lighter!
              I'm guessing the wife's lighter is hotter than a hair drier? Of course, I don't know what the wife smokes, or what you dry your hair with
              Andy
              http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Aluminium oxidises, hence why it binds. The binding/bonding effect always seems worse when it's in contact with brass, for some weird reason. Rotate your wheels so that the valves are at the top and put a few of drops of vinegar on the threads above the bottom of the cap. It should work down after an hour or two and loosen the bond. It will probably turn the valve threads pink btw, if the valve threads are brass.

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                  I'm guessing the wife's lighter is hotter than a hair drier? Of course, I don't know what the wife smokes, or what you dry your hair with
                  Indirect heat sometimes works better.

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  Aluminium oxidises, hence why it binds. The binding/bonding effect always seems worse when it's in contact with brass, for some weird reason.
                  Electrolosis. Aluminium oxidises easily, which is why it's used to make sacrificial anodes on outboard motors, thereby protecting the propellor.

Same problem when steel bolts are used in alloy casings on, but not to the same extent.

Good idea with the vinegar....
                  Last edited by sv1000spilot; 16 October 2009, 10:06.
                  My other cars a QUAD
                  (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                  http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                    Electrolosis. Aluminium oxidises easily, which is why it's used to make sacrificial anodes on outboard motors, thereby protecting the propellor.
                    Why does it always seem more pronounced with brass though? Seems to have a lesser effect when in contact with copper, (from personal experience), which is the main constituent of brass. One of lifes little quirks.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      Why does it always seem more pronounced with brass though? Seems to have a lesser effect when in contact with copper, (from personal experience), which is the main constituent of brass. One of lifes little quirks.
                      I believe it is that brass contains zinc which in electrolitic action becomes the sacrificial metal (softest) and turns to zinc oxide to the point where the brass can become porous. This is what happens in plumbing with dissimilar metals and now why south west water have generally banned the use of brass, alfa brass (zinc free) or gunmetal overcomes this but is more expencive
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

Cheers Tony. I'd always wondered why it seemed most pronounced with brass.

Comment

Re

Cheers for that guys!

Will try Matt's vinegar suggestion later!

I can't belive how solid the damn things have become, it's like they been welded on!

Just another one of life's little mysteries I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
                            Cheers for that guys!

Will try Matt's vinegar suggestion later!

I can't belive how solid the damn things have become, it's like they been welded on!

Just another one of life's little mysteries I guess!
                            if you do want shiny dust caps halfrauds do em for about £10..... and they are anti-theft, comes with fancy little key, had em on my BMW, made it go about 15MPH faster..... never got robbed either even though the local kids have tried lots of times, i love the panic button on car alarm, you never see kids run so fast, like you do when they think they have set car alarms off..... :P

Comment

Working...
                            X