2.4 TD Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 TD Engine

Hi - can anyone help? I have a 1992 imported 2.4 TD. Couple of days ago noticed a whirring noise from engine. 2 or 3 short journeys later the Surf suddenly cut out completely on me. Left it a minute then restarted and drove but whirring noise was more prominent. Back home checked oil levels - extremely low. Added a gallon of oil, did short journey but whirring seems to have escalated to rattling and I fear next stage is engine banging. No warning lights came on to warn of oil situation and there is no evidence of significant coolant loss. I am not particularly mechanically minded but love my surf and unfortuantely I now fear the rattling/banging could be terminal! Any advice (bar the obvious 'You should have checked your oil earlier!') would be gratefully received - Thanks.

Automatic or manual?

Comment

Hi Den,

A gallon ? they only have 6 1/2 litres in the sump to
      start with!! what's the oil pressure like when running?
      should be near first line at tick over and close to middle
      when driving, with a hot engine. Where in Leeds are you?

Gman.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
        A gallon ? they only have 6 1/2 litres in the sump to start with!!
        I'd not noticed he'd said gallon. Be hoped that's just dramatic emphasis for quite a bit.

Comment

Thanks for replies folks...it is automatic, and apologies for dramatic licence...it was a gallon of oil I bought and poured 1/2 in. Can't tell much about oil pressure at this stage as just running it stationery.....awaiting advice from yourselves as to whether I can risk taking it for a run to establish any more information. By the way I'm ###### useless with cars (yes, I'm ashamed)..just really need to know whether its safe to drive or on its last legs...

Comment

Originally posted by Den56 View Post
            Thanks for replies folks...it is automatic, and apologies for dramatic licence...it was a gallon of oil I bought and poured 1/2 in. Can't tell much about oil pressure at this stage as just running it stationery.....awaiting advice from yourselves as to whether I can risk taking it for a run to establish any more information. By the way I'm ###### useless with cars (yes, I'm ashamed)..just really need to know whether its safe to drive or on its last legs...
            Hi Den,

Where abouts in Leeds are you? I may be able to
            come over and have a listen to the engine for you,
            and advise what to do next.

Gman.
            If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Just on a slightly different track, with the engine oil being so low, have you also checked the auto trans fluid, via the orange dipstick? If one has been left to lapse, the other may also be extremely low.

Comment

Working...
              X