front wheel rattles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel rattles

hi, can anyone advise me please. My kzn130 has irritating rattly noises coming from the front wheels whenever i go over small bumps or uneven road surfaces. Even at slow speeds, it sounds more like a shopping trolley than a mighty Surf. Ive held the brake on over bumps thinking it might be the pads rattling but the noise is still there. Any ideas as to what is causing this would be appreciated.

Try in 4WD on a loose surface

If it goes away it's probably the bushes
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Something loose, jack the front up and check the wheels to see if there is any movement, maybe shocks gone, leaked the oil out, tug and check everything,
      can you be more specific about the noise, have someone stand near and see if you can narrow it down,
      check starter motor bolts, very hard to get to, they might be loose allowing it to rattle,
      just got to work your way through the front end,
      www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Bushes, Bearings????. Think grecysurf's right though, go over everything you can, hopefully it will just be something simple and cheap to fix, if not, there's plenty of people on here that can point you in the right direction. Post some more details after you had a good look round.
        Neal

Comment

try your steering stops as they come loose there should be four you cant miss em
          I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

do a search for bronze bushes mate i thinks thats your problem
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

The para's right. Almost certainly bronze bushes in the hub - sorry to say it, but its been covered lots of times before. Nowt to worry about really.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Bushes

Did my front hubs 3 weeks ago,new bronze bushes, brake calipers,pads,checked out cv joints etc. Plenty of grease in the between the bushes whats not needed is pushed out when the drive shafts are put back in. Awesome now not a sound or rattle. All parts available from Roughtrax.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your tips. As there doesnt seem to be anything loose that i can see or get hold of, its looking like the bronze bushes are at fault. Not being a mechanic tho ( just a humble joiner and ex Royal Sig) its looking like a garage job unless i can find a stage by stage idiots guide on how to change them. Im very aware of how upset some of the members seem to get on having similar questions asked on here, however, for people like me who arent mechanics or find navigating around this site difficult, asking for advice is all we can do. Thats what life is about isnt it, learning and teaching everyday, we cant all be Einsteins.
                  Anyway we all love our Surfs and 4runners, and keeping them going is the whole point , long may they rule!

Comment

Hi mate,

Have a look at the bump stops on the
                    lower wish bone, mine were loose and
                    rattled like hell, and drove mre mad, for
                    months.
                    Hope this helps.

Gman.
                    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                      do a search for bronze bushes mate i thinks thats your problem
                      Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      The para's right. Almost certainly bronze bushes in the hub
                      They cause rattling when they wear?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        They cause rattling when they wear?
                        I thought they squealed?
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          I thought they squealed?
                          I thought they made a more noticeable sound than a mere rattle too.

If it's the case that they do rattle though, that might explain what my offside rattle is. I've checked just about everything else.

Comment

mine rattle, unless in 4WD. Assume that once 4WD is engaged it takes up the slack

Loads of up/down play in the shafts when in 2WD, goes when loaded up in 4WD.
                            My other cars a QUAD
                            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I'll give mine a check for play tomorrow and see what they're like then.

Comment

Working...
                              X