Wheel Removal, urgent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Removal, urgent

hi guys, just getting my new tyres fitted and we cant get the wheels off the hubs...

other than beating the crap out of them with a big 'ammer and some wood... does anyone have any bright ideas?
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Originally posted by Shish
    hi guys, just getting my new tyres fitted and we cant get the wheels off the hubs...

other than beating the crap out of them with a big 'ammer and some wood... does anyone have any bright ideas?

yes beat them with a hammer and wood or just loosen wheel nuts and drive it in a circle until it loosens, rather than hammer and wood rubber mallet.

Drive a couple of miles from home then let air out of tyre and phone RAC or AA let them get it off for you.
    Find roughest are of town and park it there overnight, your wheels will be off by morning.
    Last edited by Koi; 24 May 2004, 13:36.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

The standard Toy alloy are a really good fit over the front hubs, if you get any dirt in there, or had the alloys lacqued they are really tight, sit in front of the tyre and gove it some welly with the size nines, at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tyre, then top and bottom, and it should wiggle off.

Linda managed it with hers last week, so don't be beaten by a gurl!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks guys, got them in the end... but by god they where well stuck on... it took two of us layed on our backs kicking the ????e out of them for about 10 mins after WD40 and a blowtorch before they wiggled off

...so i now have a nice new set of Yokohama Geolanders

Comment

you have a pm
          ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by Shish
            thanks guys, got them in the end... but by god they where well stuck on... it took two of us layed on our backs kicking the ????e out of them for about 10 mins after WD40 and a blowtorch before they wiggled off

...so i now have a nice new set of Yokohama Geolanders
            Before you put them on again smear a very fine layer of copperslip around the bit of the hub that goes through the wheel center and also around the mating facing on the hub. Make it very fine though don't put too much on otherwise it will spin off and contaminate the brakes.

Alloy wheels corrode and "grow" onto the steel hubs. When they are as tight a fit as they are on the Surf you are already starting with a problem.

Cheers

Comment

yea, i use copperslip ALL the time... unfortunatly we were at Donington circuit and we couldn't find it in the truck, i'm planning to pop the wheels back off over the weekend and copperslip them up

Comment

Working...
              X