4runner problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner problems

Hi have just purchased a 4runner and am haveing a couple of problems I was hoping someone on here could help with.
    Firstly I am having to prime the fuel filter every morning before it will start?
    Also it is a twin battery and am having trouble with one of them not holding charge so having to jump start every day, any ways to find which battery is bad?
    Thirdly I have had a lack of power at pull away and on hills, have read through the forum and checked all the hoses, turbo light comes on when it's supposed to?
    Lastly the whole vehicle shakes on tickover and engine seems to shake too much?
    Any help would be much appreciated as am struggling to find the solutions.
    Many thanks.

Originally posted by herbman View Post
    Hi have just purchased a 4runner and am haveing a couple of problems I was hoping someone on here could help with.
    Firstly I am having to prime the fuel filter every morning before it will start?
    Also it is a twin battery and am having trouble with one of them not holding charge so having to jump start every day, any ways to find which battery is bad?
    Thirdly I have had a lack of power at pull away and on hills, have read through the forum and checked all the hoses, turbo light comes on when it's supposed to?
    Lastly the whole vehicle shakes on tickover and engine seems to shake too much?
    Any help would be much appreciated as am struggling to find the solutions.
    Many thanks.
    Hi Herbman
    First problem with fuel priming. I take it you're not getting leaked fuel under the vehicle? Check all external underbody fuel lines for holes. If the breather on the fuel tank is blocked and air can't get in to replace the fuel being used then a blocked breather will cause a vacuum and the fuel is sucked back thru' the lines into the tank again.
    2. Take your batteries to your local garage/halfords/kwikfit and get them to do a drop test on them both. If one is trashed, it will soon drag down the other and knacker them both. Replace as necessary.
    3. If you've checked your vacuum hoses and your happy that the turbo works, then it sounds as if you may have either blocked injectors or a blocked fuel pipe. Change the fuel filter if not already done so, but top it up with redex first and get the engine running, should help to break down any crap in the system. Also add redex to the fuel tank on a regular basis to keep it running clean.
    Rick
    Last edited by RickB; 1 August 2009, 18:23.
    Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

Comment

afternoon

as rick said, suggest you change the fuel filter for starters - maight be clogged and creating a mini avcuum.

don't mess with the batteries, toyota are doing an offer get 2 for £112 inc VAT. A dodgy one will bring down a good one in no time

the shaking is probably down to tickover being too low - should be around 700 - 800 rpm with no aircon on - again might be down to blocked fuel filter

hope this helps

hawaii

ps:

nemesis means: A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible c**t — me.
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
        afternoon

as rick said, suggest you change the fuel filter for starters - maight be clogged and creating a mini avcuum.

don't mess with the batteries, toyota are doing an offer get 2 for £112 inc VAT. A dodgy one will bring down a good one in no time

the shaking is probably down to tickover being too low - should be around 700 - 800 rpm with no aircon on - again might be down to blocked fuel filter

hope this helps

hawaii

ps:

nemesis means: A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible c**t — me.
        Hence the Avatar.
        Bricktop rules - "Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol..."
        Do you know what "Nemesis" means?

Comment

Have replaced Glow plugs and Fuel Filter and filled filter with injector cleaner, ran it for about 4 miles and all went well. However has now started shaking on tickover and have discovered that the pipe from the rear silencer to the rear of vehicle has been bodged together and a small silencer has been added in middle of pipe????
          Would this effect the running?

Comment

Originally posted by herbman View Post
            have discovered that the pipe from the rear silencer to the rear of vehicle has been bodged together and a small silencer has been added in middle of pipe????
            Would this effect the running?
            No
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
            X