Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers side Doorlock has stuck

Hey there

Have had my Surf for a couple of years and been using the forum for all the little niggles like the rear window not working, steering lock noice etc. but have now been really stumped.

Am just a novice mechanic and am pretty poor if I'm being honest!

My Drivers side door lock has recently got stuck and I can't turn the key in the lock and the knob inside can't be pulled up.

All the other doors work and the central locking control still works but doesn't release the drivers door.

Have had the door card off and fiddled around inside a couple of times. Both times managed to get the key working and the door to open. However I then go out, park up, lock up, come back later and the door lock is stuck again.

Have been climbing in through passenger door and having to clamber over the centre console.

Any ideas what the problem is as I can't see the mechanism and couldn't see how to get into the door!

Help!! Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers

Bruce

Originally posted by bruceybonus View Post
    Hey there

Have had my Surf for a couple of years and been using the forum for all the little niggles like the rear window not working, steering lock noice etc. but have now been really stumped.

Am just a novice mechanic and am pretty poor if I'm being honest!

My Drivers side door lock has recently got stuck and I can't turn the key in the lock and the knob inside can't be pulled up.

All the other doors work and the central locking control still works but doesn't release the drivers door.

Have had the door card off and fiddled around inside a couple of times. Both times managed to get the key working and the door to open. However I then go out, park up, lock up, come back later and the door lock is stuck again.

Have been climbing in through passenger door and having to clamber over the centre console.

Any ideas what the problem is as I can't see the mechanism and couldn't see how to get into the door!

Help!! Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers

Bruce
    spray the insides of the lock mech with loads of wd or any penertrating oil
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Thanks for that will give it a try once it stops raining and I can get the door card off again!

Comment

you'll need to dismantle the inside of the door.... I had the same problem a few months ago...
        its just a small spring inside that snapped. Its when you get out of the car that starts the problem... if you lift up the outside handle before you lock the door you should be able to get back in....If it locks again, an i know this sounds like a pain but if you wiggle the key while lifting the door handle you should be able to get back in....
        Its the spring that attatches to the out side door handle.... I've put an army boot elastic on mine and seems to be holding it up so far...!!
        Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

All Sorted!

Speedymacfish you were dead on. Although I've got to admit was putting it in for an oil service and asked the guy to take a look!

And he just happened to have a spring laying about, OK it cost me £50 for the labour but at least I don't have to break my back everytime I get in and out of the thing!

Thanks all!

Comment

exactly the same thing has happened to me, i'm stuck in another country and must do the work myself (reasonably competant)

I know i can get inside panel off, and flick open switch manually (done this before reading post)

Didn't then do too much, because was scared i would then be in a position where i cant lock door.

Basically can you tell me a little more clearly where the spring is?

Comment

Working...
            X