X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" lift on 3rd Gen - Questions

Hi guys can anyone advise?

2" lift on 3rd gen....

1. Will my stock 265/75/16's look stupid?
    2. Will i need to amend my panhard rod - how far will it be out?
    3. Will my front CV's wear quickly at 2" lift - i also don't want to replace my boots regularly at £55+vat a time!
    4. Will my rear std shocks cope with the 2" lift without blowing on top out?
    5. Are there any other mods i need to consider to do this lift?

Cheers in advance.....

Damon

Originally posted by kite surf

2" lift on 3rd gen....

2. Will i need to amend my panhard rod - how far will it be out?
    3. Will my front CV's wear quickly at 2" lift - i also don't want to replace my boots regularly at £55+vat a time!
    4. Will my rear std shocks cope with the 2" lift without blowing on top out?
    5. Are there any other mods i need to consider to do this lift?

Cheers in advance.....

Damon
    wheels won't look too bad, still the biggest on a 2" lift... go a bit higher if you want 33's.
    nobody on here knew what a panhard rod was 2 weeks ago so don't worry about it! usr pythagoras to work it out!
    the shocks should be ok, but may as well do front ones while you've got tham out
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      wheels won't look too bad, still the biggest on a 2" lift... go a bit higher if you want 33's.
      nobody on here knew what a panhard rod was 2 weeks ago so don't worry about it! usr pythagoras to work it out!
      the shocks should be ok, but may as well do front ones while you've got tham out
      are you talking body lift or suspension lift?
      cos with the body lift you'll have to modify the steering column

Comment

Suspension - looking at 2" procomp springs and shocks on the front coilovers and just springs on the rear with std shocks.

As long as my cv's won't fail as my 2nd gen cost a stack on cv boots!

Is yours lifted or stock?

Is the height supposed to be 22" on 3rd Gen trucks too, d'you know?

Carried too much surf gear in mine and i keep bumping my head on the rear door!

D

Comment

Suspension - looking at 2" procomp springs and shocks on the front coilovers and just springs on the rear with std shocks.

As long as my cv's won't fail as my 2nd gen cost a stack on cv boots!

Is yours lifted or stock?

Is the height supposed to be 22" on 3rd Gen trucks too, d'you know?

Carried too much surf gear in mine and i keep bumping my head on the rear door!

D
          mine's 2" bodylift... yeah, 22" sounds about right at the back??

Comment

2" lift on 3rd gen....

Damon
            Probably not. Well I hope not, cos that's what I was planning to do
            Anyhow, 265/75/16s are not stock, 265/70/16s are.

Cheers
            Rob

Comment

before and after 2" lift with 31" tyres (265 70 16)
              Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Dabigman, pictures really help - doesn't look too much and i reckon losing the sidesteps helps too!

Rob you are local to me - do you do any green laning?
                Where are you getting your lift kit?
                Maybe i got the profile wrong - i will check my tyres tonight!

Come to think of it my speedo is slightly out from my GPS laser garage opener device!

Comment

Cheers Dabigman, pictures really help - doesn't look too much and i reckon losing the sidesteps helps too!

Come to think of it my speedo is slightly out from my GPS laser garage opener device!
                  (my GPS also controls the stereo down the pub!! good fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                    Not entirely correct! :d
                    If you look at any other 4runner site they are mentioned quite frequently among udder tings!
                    Del
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                      Not entirely correct! :d
                      If you look at any other 4runner site they are mentioned quite frequently among udder tings!
                      Del
                      Hehe - yeah I think you'll find Big TonyN mentions them quite often....
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I will do a few measurements and put them on AutoCAD and check the deflection!

Surely if you are fully laden, the panhard rod pulls the axle 10mm one way and unladen pulls it back the same amount the otherway? With half laden being dead centre? No?

Has noone done this and checked the deflection?

Comment

Hi. Yeah not far away at all! I haven't really done much laning around here as I usually go with a mate around the Bedford area (where I used to live). Do you know any good lanes around here?
                          Not sure what I'm doing about my lift yet - wanted to import parts from the US but haven't looked into pricing yet. If the springs that RoughTrax sell turn out to be any good I might get those (as it would be a lot cheaper).

Comment

I think i will be trying them out shortly!

I will let you know...

I have been offroad in Les Arcs in France and a little in mid wales (harsh)when i lived there, but i mainly use mine to take my kitesurf gear to the beach!

I often get up North (where i'm from) and fancied trying the Pennines or south Lakes!

I fancied trying the tank tracks over Salisbury way but have no-one to pull me out if stuck! Perhaps we should hook up for some laning when i find some!

Comment

If your worried about cv angles, get a front diff drop kit. They are 1" spacer blocks that drop the front diff. This decreases the cv angles almost back to stock.

You could also go for 275/75's or 285/75's. They will fit, but may need some trimming if you are into heavyduty offroading, but should be fine for light wheeling and street driving.

The panhard is not necessary, but is an easy mod. It will reduce the chances of rubbing with bigger tires.

Roughtrax are working on a 2" suspension lift for the 3rd gens at the moment. A 2" sus and 1" body will allow for big tires with no rubbing and is not too expensive.

The panhard and diff drop are not needed if you go for the bodylift.

Whats the prices of the explorer stuff, for the front and rear shocks and struts?

Comment

Working...
                              X