yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info on electric diff lockers and manual hubs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on electric diff lockers and manual hubs.

I was just searching around for info on elctric diff lockers and came across this.

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html

Has any one fitted this (a toyata diff lock) to there surf.

Didnt really want to go down the route of an arb as dont want a compressor etc.

As for the manual hubs. Im rather thick on this matter.

From what Ive gathered they are used to help save c.v boots, increase mpg very slightly. Other than that what are the benfits of them.

Only ask as im not sure why every one fits them.

Cheers

Dan

Cost is a biggie I would imagine.

e-locker (if you can find one) will set you back as much as an arb second hand......and if you buy them new they are £450 plus (unless you buy one in the states and stick it in your hand luggage).

ARB etc are all upwards of £350.

Manually locking hubs are £55 a side (I believe).

Which means, if you weld up the diff, you can have a completely locked diff by manually locking the hubs when in 4wd mode. Which means you can "spool" the axle...e.g. it is fully locked...no slippage.

It also means that the wheels aren't turning the CV's all the time..saving miniscule amounts of mpg.

Comment

That makes some sense. Cheers bud.

Comment

More importantly, if your driveshaft angles are steep due to suspension lift, you wont wear out your CVs & boots as quick if you unlock your front hubs when on the road.

If you weld your front diff, there will come a time when you forget to unlock your hubs before returning to tarmac, then 'BOOM!' and a new diff when you drive round your first corner.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          More importantly, if your driveshaft angles are steep due to suspension lift, you wont wear out your CVs & boots as quick if you unlock your front hubs when on the road.

If you weld your front diff, there will come a time when you forget to unlock your hubs before returning to tarmac, then 'BOOM!' and a new diff when you drive round your first corner.
          So basically its worth getting some Manual hubs.

So if the front diff was welded and hubs are locked it acts like a diff locker, but if you dont weld the diff up. Then its just the added advantage of not wearing out the cv joints, boots etc.

Does that sound about right.

Think I will save up for some anyhow. lol

Comment

Working...
          X