No announcement yet.

This bit fell off.....is it important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This bit fell off.....is it important?

Hmm, well, had a knocking noise, so had a look underneath (after reading horror stories on here of Surf ball joints failing).

And found this: (photo taken from behind the passenger front wheel looking forwards).

Am I right in thinking that this is the anti-roll-bar connector that has come adrift...and that it isn't absolutely vital (e.g. a wheel won't fall off).....

...and what should be on top of it (e.g. do I need a new one?).

thanks

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
    Hmm, well, had a knocking noise, so had a look underneath (after reading horror stories on here of Surf ball joints failing).

And found this: (photo taken from behind the passenger front wheel looking forwards).

Am I right in thinking that this is the anti-roll-bar connector that has come adrift...and that it isn't absolutely vital (e.g. a wheel won't fall off).....

...and what should be on top of it (e.g. do I need a new one?).

thanks
    that is correct.....
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

it is the front Arb the wheel will not fall off!! looks like you need a new one you can manage without one but the handling will suffer! look in the breaking section they are not hard to replace.

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom....

..I know exactly when it happened too....a bit pratting round and taking a ditch far too fast...I heard a mettalic clink/clang but thought it was stones as the bash plate dug through clay.

...that also explains the "less than sports-car-like" handling.

ta.

...does it heed off-road performance?

Comment

If you remove the front and rear ARBs the offroad flexibility would improve (not sure if that's the same as performance...) but on road, it will roll a fair bit more - whatever you do, if you do decide to remove all the ARBs - don't put any spare wheels on the roof!!!
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

for what its worth.

I read up on this a lot when I was making the decision of whether to remove it or not, the general consensus from everything I have read on here and elsewhere was to remove the rear and keep the front on.

I would highly recommend buying a ARB bush kit from Milners and replacing all the bushes its only about £12 is easy to do (I'm a mechanical halfwit and I'm halfway to doing it myself) and makes a massive difference to the drive quality

Comment

Or even better leave oboth attached and make up some disconnects so you can disconnect them when going offroad.

If you do, then in return for coming up with such a great idea you can make me some too!
              Last edited by biosurf; 1 June 2009, 17:34.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                Or even better leave oboth attached and make up some disconnects so you can disconnect them when going offroad.

If
                I like that option........whilst looking at a new bar..that looked like a possiblity.

Comment

just don't drive hard in corners and you can save money by taking the ARB's off.
                  Passenger comfort may suffer, but hey ho, it is the credit crunch after all.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Both my ARB's have been recycled at the scrapyard

There's an increase in body roll and corners have to be taken slower, but these aren't exactly racing machines.

Plus side is more articulation when off road
                    My other cars a QUAD
                    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I think I may leave it off entirely then..... ...

...it snapped a few weeks ago and the passengers haven't complained yet (no more than normal anyway)..

.....right...now to remove the rear

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                        I think I may leave it off entirely then..... ...

...it snapped a few weeks ago and the passengers haven't complained yet (no more than normal anyway)..

.....right...now to remove the rear
                        I honestly wouldn't recommend running without both of them if you still have original shocks and springs. You are liable to find the ride somewhat 'exciting'.

Comment

if you do remove them and dont tell insurance company, you could be stuffed if involved in an accident....
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

I just had my front bushes replaced and one of the rear brackets had snapped so got that welded an new bushes an god it handles sooo much better. Wouldn't dream of takin the rear off as I spend most of my time on tarmac an would dread to think what would happen if I had to swerve.....bludy thing used to skip about all the time. Now I know what it should handle like I can live without the extra articulation.
                            How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Fair comments one and all..

...having run without the front for a while, and having this as my everyday driver I think for the £20 or so it will cost I'll replace the front bracket.

In future if doing a lot of offroading, I'll make up a detachable one (maybe).

Do you need to adjust them at all when doing lifts (either suspension or body).

Comment

Working...
                              X