4WD Selection - Newbie Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Selection - Newbie Help

Ok this is probably a really stupid question (other than to me as i am having brain block at the moment). Should the 4wd button on the side of the selector be pressed in to engage 4wd or released? Mine has been pressed in since i have had the car (1 week), no dash lights in either position, but it does clunk if i release it and then press it back in. I suspect it should be pressed in to engae 4wd? If so then hopefully mine is not engaging correctly as otherwise i assume i could have buggered the 4wd system?

Need to know this as i am worried about driving it until i know the answer.

In is engage 4WD.

Nev

Comment

If it's engaging correctly, you would most likely have noticed by now. It will fight you like the devil on turning and such when used on solid surfaces. If you haven't noticed that, there is a good possibility that it isn't engaging due to a vacuum leak or similar. You will still hear/feel a clunk when engaging or disengaging, but it doesn't engage completely.

Comment

In is Def engaged and then their should be a warning light on the dash to tell but you could have a bulb out but the last thing you should do is drive it in FWD on normal roads as you will cause damage to your truck.
        [U]SORRY OFFICER...I HAVE BEEN IN ALL EVENING...[/U]

Comment

I have checked the various vacuum hoses and they all seem to be intact. With the 4wd disengaged i got under the car and tested to see if the prop to the front diff turns freely, it does. When the switch is depressed there is the sound of a motor operating and the the front prop can no longer be turned. However there is no dash light. Are my test sufficient to assume that the 4wd is engaging and disengaging correctly and that the dash light is faulty?

In the week that the switch was pressed in i have not driven it other than this morning, maybe not damaged the rear diff?

Comment

If nowt has gone bang, don't worry about it. If it is already damaged, worrying won't change owt. Just make sure that switch is in the out, (off), position and don't worry unless something goes belly up. What's done is done.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
              If nowt has gone bang, don't worry about it. If it is already damaged, worrying won't change owt. Just make sure that switch is in the out, (off), position and don't worry unless something goes belly up. What's done is done.
              Whilst i agree with the sentiment and should not worry about it, unfortunately it is not in my nature to let it go until i have fixed it. Having done some research i belive that the engagement of the 4wd system relies on both operation of the motor on the transfer box to engage the front prop and also the actuation of the ADD component on the front diff. I believe that the front diff component is not operating correctly. May be insufficient vacuum or there is a problem with the electric to the solenoids. To add insult to injury i have also found that the nearside anti roll bar tie rod has pulled out of its mounting. Rubbers were very very perished! I don't think that i can source any locally to fix the surf for the weekend trip to the beach that the family had planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Pine12 View Post
                To add insult to injury i have also found that the nearside anti roll bar tie rod has pulled out of its mounting. Rubbers were very very perished! I don't think that i can source any locally to fix the surf for the weekend trip to the beach that the family had planned.
                Don't worry - I have no anti roll bar front or rear

Just make sure that there are no loose bits that can cause any (more) damage.
                My other cars a QUAD
                (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Whilst i agree with the sentiment and should not worry about it, unfortunately it is not in my nature to let it go until i have fixed it. Having done some research i belive that the engagement of the 4wd system relies on both operation of the motor on the transfer box to engage the front prop and also the actuation of the ADD component on the front diff. I believe that the front diff component is not operating correctly. May be insufficient vacuum or there is a problem with the electric to the solenoids. To add insult to injury i have also found that the nearside anti roll bar tie rod has pulled out of its mounting. Rubbers were very very perished! I don't think that i can source any locally to fix the surf for the weekend trip to the beach that the family had planned.
                  you should be OK as long as you dont stow your spare on.....................
                  gettin me coat
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Whilst i agree with the sentiment and should not worry about it, unfortunately it is not in my nature to let it go until i have fixed it.
                    I was referring to possible damage done if you had been driving in 4wd.

You can hear the motor working on the transfer/gearbox which points to that most likely being okay, so again, check the vacuum system. Pull a pipe off the reservoir canister and check that there is actually a vacuum there. If not, you have either a knackered valve, knackered vac pump or perished hoses somewhere. Most likely hoses. Question. Have you actually checked the bulb yet? Also, have you plonked the Surf on a loose surface and checked whether you have drive on the front wheels?

The front A.R.B is no big thing. Just drive accordingly until you get it sorted. Sounds like you've probably been driving without it for a while anyhow?
                    Last edited by MattF; 2 May 2009, 17:58.

Comment

Checked all the vacuum pipes this morning and found all in order. Checked the solenoids and found that the one that engages 4wd on the front diff is not working. Hopefully that is the only cause of the problem.

Spent most of the morining trying to find diff oil in greater quantities than 1 litre and at less than £9.99 a pop. I remeber being able to walk into halfords years ago and by 5 litres of gearbox oil. Now it appears the only stuff available in greater quantities is engine oil. Anyway to the point, stopped in a t my local toyota deal and saw a really help bloke on the parts counter. He offered me red coolant at the same price as roughtrax ex vat price and he also called round and found me 5 litres of diff oil (GL5 75w-90) for £25 which he is going to have delivered to the dealership on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                      X