Coolant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Question

I have just bought a surf and will be giving it a service this weekend (assuming parts arrive on time). I was wondering whether i can use an ordinary Ethylene-glycol antifeeze/anticorrosive from a local motor factors or if i should stick to the premixed red coolant (i think thats the colour in mine).

Hi & welcome to the forum mate.

Always stick with the same color as what is already in.

I personaly would buy the toyota ready mixed for what it costs.

LOOK AT THIS FIRST.
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/coolant.htm
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

either stick with what's in there or make sure you give it a damn good flush through, mixing different types of coolant is never a good idea, they can coaggulate and block waterways and such or something. Red is the original toyota specced one, but there ain't much difference performance wise, i think red lasts longer, but either way it doesn't mix well.
      Last edited by nero279; 29 April 2009, 23:45.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

As Ian mentioned, stick with red if that is what you have already. You'll need to spend yonks flushing the system if you want to use any other colour.

Comment

Coolant Question

Thanks all! I'll get some premixed for another weekend. I would have got it today but couldn't be certain of the colour and couldn't wait until tomorrow as i wanted to get the other parts in time for the weekend.

Having read quite a few posts regarding running temperatures can i assume that i would be wise to do everything possible to ensure the engine and transmission cooling systems are as good as i can get them. I assume that i would be wise to fit a transmission cooler and thermostat? Ultimately i would like to make the usual cosmetic mods but before i do i want to ensure that the engine and transmission is in as good condition as i can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pine12 View Post
            Thanks all! I'll get some premixed for another weekend. I would have got it today but couldn't be certain of the colour and couldn't wait until tomorrow as i wanted to get the other parts in time for the weekend.
            If you cannot tell for definite what colour is in there already, do make sure you flush the system thoroughly first, just to be on the safe side. Btw, all other types of antifreeze will merrily co-exist with each other. Red is the only one which won't.

Originally posted by Pine12 View Post
            Having read quite a few posts regarding running temperatures can i assume that i would be wise to do everything possible to ensure the engine and transmission cooling systems are as good as i can get them. I assume that i would be wise to fit a transmission cooler and thermostat? Ultimately i would like to make the usual cosmetic mods but before i do i want to ensure that the engine and transmission is in as good condition as i can get it.
            Unless you have any intention of doing lots of heavy towing or suchlike, I'd leave the coolant system stock and just make sure that you service it completely. An ATF cooler is unnecessary for normal use, and could actually be counter-productive in such cases. A well maintained stock coolant system will perform fine for anything less than extreme conditions. Renewing the ATF is also advisable.

Comment

Thanks MattF. I take your point about the cooler and will put the ATF change on the list of things to do.

Comment

i read in my toyota handbook this week thatthe red toyota coolant turns yellow if exhaust gases get into it, never knew that
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                X