Squeeky Air con/MPG/ 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeky Air con/MPG/ 4x4

Hi Guys - Im new to this so I hope you wont mind helping me out!

I bought my 60K mile 1996 Surf (2nd Gen SSR-X) last October and love it. It seems to be in great fettle - I was the 1st Uk owner after import. However a few issues to sort to make perfect...

1 - Aircon. Works fine (blows icy cold) but occasionally (usually at idle) a sound comes from the engine bay as if the drive belt is slipping. It appears that the belt tension is fine as the noise is coming from the electric clutch that engages when pressing the a/c button. The noise goes away if A/C is turned off. Can this clutch be repaired/replaced cheaply?

2 - Fuel economy : - I can ony get 400km out of a tank before fuel light comes on (worked out at 23-24 mpg). Is this as good as i can expect?

3 - There is delay when engaging 4 wheel drive? It appears to work ok but pulls to th left?

Thanks in advance!

same car, fuel economy = sit at 55 in OD and pee off other drivers for 29mpg and I think that's the max you'll get, bored the hell outa me though.

Aircon = Leave it off, mpg suffers when on, I only run mine 10mins a month to keep it working, then again there's spares for anything "surf" for sale here if you want it replaced.

4wd = dont select unless off road or icy/wet conditions, driving on dry tarmac in 4wd gooses the transmission, in the recent bad conditions I used mine to escape the cul-de-sac, went up a green lane and one other time to clear a ditch, thats in two years ownership and have not encountered another occasion to need it, I tow a big caravan being this cars primary usage. H

Comment

Originally posted by GixerJim View Post

1 - Aircon. Works fine (blows icy cold) but occasionally (usually at idle) a sound comes from the engine bay as if the drive belt is slipping. It appears that the belt tension is fine as the noise is coming from the electric clutch that engages when pressing the a/c button. The noise goes away if A/C is turned off. Can this clutch be repaired/replaced cheaply?
      If it sounds like the belt the chances are it'll be the belt, tighten it up a bit or replace it and the noise will go away. Remember there's no load on the belt when the air con is off, so it won't squeal.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I LOVE this forum - you've just saved me a few bob (Again !)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Between 24 and 25 mpg here no matter how I drive it or if I run the aircon. Even towing a caravan I get close to 24 mpg. If I drive really gently and don't let the turbo light come on I can get 26 mpg, but I end up looking at the rev counter and turbo light more than the road, so not really a practical option.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

I LOVE this forum - you've just saved me a few bob (Again !)

There's lovely for ya Bobo

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya won't know when tho !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Fully serviced the surf last weekend - i,e
              Cambelt, Air/fuel/Oil filters and Oil plus one of those cans of diesel treatment and it seems that with a mixture of driving ( I live in the fens so no hills!) start/stop and 70mph cruising in OD(Air con on sometimes and off others) I just got 470 kms before light came on - managed to squeeze 55 litres in which I work out to 25mpg. Not too bad me thinks - would expect that to creep up a bit on a long motorway slog - off to wales for a stag do in Oct so will work out a Long distance MPG! Seems a bit better since service as I reckoned on only 22-23 MPG on same sort of use before!

Comment

The magnetic clutch in front of pump can squeal, it can sound like a belt slipping too, or it can start to rattle. £220 new to replace it. Roughtrax.
                It might be the belt or the belt idler pulley bearing, bearing is about £7 to replace.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

My clutch made noises, got sprayed with WD40 and noise went away.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                  X