yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you need extended shocks when doing the LC spring lift ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you need extended shocks when doing the LC spring lift ?

Somethings been niggling my brain for a while.....

If the surfs rear suspension has an arc of travel from fully compressed to fully extended and you fit longer springs(or spacers)... Surely you just move the point in the arc that the surf sits at ? ie: you have more compression travel and less extension ?

Surely you only need extended shocks if you put drop brackets on all the rear arms ? - and then you'd need extended bumpstops too ?

Unless of course the rear suspension can extend more than the stock shocks allow ?
    Please enlighten me

Rob.

The rear axle can go alot lower than the stock shock allows for..

Also, if its not extended then you can get the shock to 'top out' where it just runs out of travel an it gives a truly sh!t ride..

by the same token it can be just as bad up front!! I put +4" shocks on the front of my old truck an they used to bottom out!

Not all bad really... the bump stops had beat the sh!t out of the front two shockers! so if i had more upwards travel it would've been worse!

Comment

So if you fit +2" springs then you'd need to fit +2" bumpstops otherwise the shocks would bottom out rather than the bumpstops ?

I can't even try to think about 4" longer shocks on the IFS
      Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        So if you fit +2" springs then you'd need to fit +2" bumpstops otherwise the shocks would bottom out rather than the bumpstops ?

I can't even try to think about 4" longer shocks on the IFS
        Rob.
        Thats for the front.. the back the tyre would probably act as a bump stop first!

an um... yeah +4" up front doesn't work well!

Comment

With LC springs on the back, the standard toyo shocks TOP out. With no load, the shocks are fully extended and give a backbreaking rebound / awful ride.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            With LC springs on the back, the standard toyo shocks TOP out. With no load, the shocks are fully extended and give a backbreaking rebound / awful ride.

You should try leaf sprung then it's too solid ........but fun
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

you want to leave the bump stops alone if possible, only alter them if the tyres are rubbing under full compression.

the whole point of a lift for off road use (not just to pose!) is to increase the travel of your suspension, so it works better off road.

you want to keep as much up travel as possible, while extending your available down travel.

therefore you need longer shocks, and properly rated springs that still compress all the way up, otherwise you might as well just shove a spacer in there.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks - things are getting clearer now.

I was assuming that if you didnt extend the bumpstops then a longer shock would stop the full compression of the spring (the shock being longer than the original) and possibly damage the shock..

Cheers,
                Rob.

Comment

Working...
                X