Fitting a towbar to a 3rd gen Surf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a towbar to a 3rd gen Surf.

How to fit a Towequipe towbar to a 3rd gen 1996-2003 Surf.

Tools needed:
    17MM, 19MM and 24MM sockets/spanners.
    Wire cutters/strippers.
    About a metre or four feet of twin core cable, enough to reach from one rear light to the other.
    WD40 or similar.
    Crosshead screwdriver.
    A length of stiff wire. I used green fencing wire.
    Copper grease (optional)

Rear bumper removed for clarity and because it needed rust proofing on the back.

First thing to do is to remove the towing eye from the chassis...17mm socket/spanner.

Next, using the supplied metal strip with attached bolt...
    feed into the end of the chassis rail and drop the bolt into the third hole along from the end.....

Then take one of the angled brackets and offer it up to the chassis so all the holes line up and fit a shakeproof washer and nut to the bolt you have just fitted to hold it in place. Don't tighten it, only finger tight.
    Then fit the two other bolts throgh the bracket into the holes where the towing eye was using the fine thread bolts from the kit. (loosely fitted for now)
    Then take your length of stiff wire and wrap it loosely around one of the other fine thread bolts and feed it into the chassis rail into the last hole of the bracket and fit washer and nut.........

Once you get the nut started on the threads, yank out the length of wire.
    Leave all the bolts/nuts loose and it should look like this....

Repeat the above on the other side of the chassis.
    Then position the towbar between the two brackets and insert one bolt each side to hold it in place then swing it up and insert the other two bolts....

Now you can tighten all the nuts and bolts you've just fitted.
    Next fit the the electrics socket, bracket and towball in place. You'll need a 24mm socket and spanner to tighten the nuts/bolts.
    Next remove the plastic edging strip in the cargo area and push/fold back the carpet to reveal the rubber grommet. Left or right side it doesen't matter. my truck has one either side, yours may have too.
    Pierce a hole in the grommet so that the seven core cable from the socket can pass through it tightly. Pull the slack through and secure the cable neatly to the towbar/chassis. (the cable hanging down in the photo is for the foglight.)

Next, carefully pull the side panel away from the body to gain access to the multiplug near the rear light cluster and un-hook the plug from the body

This is where you will make all the necessary conections following the instructions supplied with the towbar kit.
    Use a multi meter or remove the rear light cluster to identify which wire is which. e.g. Tail lights, indicators, stoplights.
    You will need to run two extra wires to the other side of the truck for the indicator/warning beeper.....I used twin core wire, but two seperate wires is OK.

Now you'll need to plug in your caravan or trailer to check everything is working. If OK then replace all the interior trim.

Removing the bumper makes this job a doddle, with the bumper fitted it's a little more fiddley, re: the bolt/hole fishing technique. If you have chrome bumpers, it's wise to protect the rear of them anyway to stop rust eating it's way through to the chrome finish.
    I used copper grease on all my bolts for ease of removal if ever necessary.

Here's mine all done and shiny.

Didn't look so nice before I started though.....

Before..

After...

Th..th..thats all folks!
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 1 November 2010, 21:45.

Nice one vince, even i can follow those instructions, i shall be saving it for future reference.

Looks alot better with the underside painted, top job.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks for that, most informative.

...is there still room for a 31.5 or a 33 underslung between the rails?

..and what did you paint it with...I was getting chassis-envy until I saw the "before" picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
        Thanks for that, most informative.

...is there still room for a 31.5 or a 33 underslung between the rails?

..and what did you paint it with...I was getting chassis-envy until I saw the "before" picture.

Space between the chassis rails is the same.
        I used Hammerite and sprayed it on with a cheapie type airbrush, around £12 from Hobbycraft.

Got any photos of the underslung spare cradle without the tyre on?
        I want to convert mine as the rear mounted spare gets in the way when manuevering the caravan.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Space between the chassis rails is the same.
          I used Hammerite and sprayed it on with a cheapie type airbrush, around £12 from Hobbycraft.

I want to convert mine as the rear mounted spare gets in the way when manuevering the caravan.
          If I get a chance at the weekend I will drop the tyre off and take a couple of pics......handle tends to spin in the hole a bit so it is a bit of a chore.

Comment

Superb Writeup Vince as the Instruction for the 2 Lengths are confusing.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Nice write up Vince...
              Funny how these newer Trucks have more Rust eh Vince !!
              (my ol 1990 Truck was spotless, me new en looks like yours...did

ps. Ava, my underslung has a 31.10-50 Kl71 n it fits snugly enough ....

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                I got a spare wheel winch from a breakers and fitted it to my 3rd gen, but then found that even the standard 265/70 16 road tyre wedged tight between the back of the two angled bits of the towbar and the lateral conrol arm (I think) on the back of the diff. My towbar assembly looks the same as yours.
                I wanted to get a BFG 265/75 16 mud under there, so I ended up having to move the towbar brackets backwards about 50mm on the chassis- with all of the re-drilling that required. You'll also have to drill a hole in the bodywork just to the right of the tailgate striker plate to accept the winder handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetsurfer View Post
                  I got a spare wheel winch from a breakers and fitted it to my 3rd gen, but then found that even the standard 265/70 16 road tyre wedged tight between the back of the two angled bits of the towbar and the lateral conrol arm (I think) on the back of the diff. My towbar assembly looks the same as yours.
                  I wanted to get a BFG 265/75 16 mud under there, so I ended up having to move the towbar brackets backwards about 50mm on the chassis- with all of the re-drilling that required. You'll also have to drill a hole in the bodywork just to the right of the tailgate striker plate to accept the winder handle.
                  Oh OK, thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to make my own spare wheel cradle and have the lowering /release bolt fixed to the back of the towbar if possible. I haven't been under the truck to measure yet though, so watch this space.

Did you keep your number plate to the side or relocate to the centre of the tailgate?

Comment

I've kept my rear carrier. I run on BFG A/Ts, but carry 2 M/T as spares - sort of dual purpose- 2 spares, but also means if I end up somewhere really messy, I've got half a pair of muds with me to put on the rear at least. I do a lot of towing all summer (gennys, tower lights, fuel bowsers etc), most of it around festival sites so after the last 2 summers....

If I was taking the carrier off, I'd have to move the plate etc, I think it'd just look weird otherwise.

Comment

Had a trial fit this evening...

Plenty of room but the the overall diameter of the tyre is only 29" I can see that a 33" mud won't fit with the towbar fitted.

I'm going to fab up an 'A' frame shape wheel holder, hinged on the chassis rails and held up by an old wheel nut accessible through the top of the bumper just below the tailgate latch.

Then re-arange the numberplate set-up.

Comment

You are a very, very thorough person.

...I suppose you might be able to get a 33 under there if it was deflated...

..as long as you have some form of on-board air to reflate it.

Comment

Bushwhacker........hypothetica l question.....

...could you fit the towbar up the other way.....to give lots more clearance at the back (keep the bumper off obviously).....and then fit a drop plate when you wanted to use it to tow?

Comment

It seems feasible.
                            Remove the four bolts each side from the chassis rails, flip the whole towbar assembly over and re-attatch so the towbar sits between the chassis rails instaed of below it.
                            And yes the bumper will have to stay off or chop a section out of it.

Comment

Bushwhacker........where did you source the towbar from.......and if you don't mind me asking.....how much?

Comment

Working...
                              X