Swing out spare wheel carrier - Gen 3 - stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing out spare wheel carrier - Gen 3 - stiff

The swing out spare wheel carrier on my Gen 3 is stiff. I tried lubricating with WD40 which worked for a couple of months, but now it is stiff again. I see there is a small hole at each hinge, which I squirted WD40 into today. The top hinge had the WD40 squirting out the edges, but the bottom seemes blocked, I guess that is the one that is stiff. Is there a way to remove the hinge pin? I tried drifting it out, but didn't seem it wanted to come out, maybe it is pressed in?

Any help appreciated!

Think they are pressed in mate.

Mine tends to stick alot too but the last time it did, instead of WD try grease spray, mines not stuck for a while now.
    I think WD tends to dry out too quick.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

haven't i read somewhere about a grease nipple, or somewhere to grease it up behind a plastic cover on the hinge?
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
        haven't i read somewhere about a grease nipple, or somewhere to grease it up behind a plastic cover on the hinge?
        There's no grease nipple just a small hole on each hinge the size of a WD red nozzle.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

WD40.....great stuff.....for a seized bolt/screw/nut. But, if you want to 'grease' something, use grease or oil or anything that doesn't come in a spray can. Exccept perhaps spray grease, WD40 is a here-and-now lube. If you want long lasting use something else
          Keep your friends close and a hammer closer

Comment

I had exactly the same problem - solution for me was to "wash out" the hinges by squirting WD40 in to each hole and then by pressing in grease with a hypo syringe body (bought from local chemist for 79p) which the nozzle is just the right size to fit into the holes.

You'll be surprised how much grease goes in (I got nearly a full syringe in each one before it started coming out the sides) and how free it gets once the grease gets in.

I did mine over a year ago and no problems since

hope this helps

hawaii
            I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Thanks peeps, I have flushed with WD40 again and it is better, bottom one still seems blocked, not sure what to do about that. Good tip on the syringe for the grease, will try that out!

Comment

Working...
              X