yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone repaired a rear window motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone repaired a rear window motor?

Mine failed a while ago. I had a bulb blow so had to sort the window in order to change the bulb.

I removed the motor and stripped it down. Generally, motors are very reliable unless they are powered up when they cannot turn which is the most likely cause of most failures on the Surfs.

I removed the motor and stripped it down. The motor was contaminated with grease which was causing a poor connection on the brushes. If anyone has attempted to strip one then they will have noticed the drive end consists of a gear which picks up on the worm gear of the motor. The gear has a large lump of rubber on it whitch in turn has a metal plate on the other end that drives the winder mechanism. There is a bearing on the end of this shaft that locates on the cover plate.

Upun removing, I found the rubber was badly perished. The drive plate was no longer attached to it and the bearing on the shaft had come out of position, allowing the shaft to wobble about.

With the gear removed and the motor cleaned of grease, the motor was tested successfully. The rubber was removed and disposed of as this was beyond repair. The gear was turned around and the drive plate screwed to the reverse side. This was then put back onto the shaft in this reversed state. A washer was then placed over the drive plate to space it out and a new circlip fitted. An old bearing was then found to replace the one that locates the end of the shaft. The gears were lightly greased and all reassembled with some furniture polish in the window runners.

It works like new again and didn't cost me a penny!
Working...
X